Micro filament on Tethered UAV

Cyphy has popped up again...

http://www.northeastdronenews.com/start-cyphy-works-developing-highly-disruptive-uas-technology/

What sort of technology is involved in getting 1000W through a filament thinner than headphone cord?

CyPhy-Works-UAS.jpg?width=600

tech-microfilament-slider-01-w940h360.jpg?width=600

tech-microfilament-slider-01-w940h360.jpg

CyPhy-Works-UAS.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• MeToo !! :) 

GocGoc said:

Any updates on this project?   Would love some links to some cable?

• Any updates on this project?   Would love some links to some cable?

• I used to work as a commercial diver and was responsible for the companys ROV. That system had a thin umbilical cord and sent 400v DC down to the ROV which was converted down to 48V DC in the ROV. Works perfect!

I am looking around online to find a suitable cable.... Anybody got a link to a nice cable?

• I don't really have a schematic but I can draw one if you need. PM me.

Dennis Okeefe said:

do you have a drawing or schematic of your system?  we aren't trying to go commercial - we are looking into helping a search and rescue unit put up a "relay" craft for better communications in the mountains during searches.  any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

dennis

kern county desert search and rescue

calif

• do you have a drawing or schematic of your system?  we aren't trying to go commercial - we are looking into helping a search and rescue unit put up a "relay" craft for better communications in the mountains during searches.  any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

dennis

kern county desert search and rescue

calif

• it actually works quite well. i had tested upto 60meters. But not with lambda. I decided against it. Local vendor was asking too much money for it. And the carrier board + lamda was coming out to be equal to most ac-dc power supplies available at much cheaper prices. Though lamda might be worth a look if you are going commercial, just for the sake of reliability. I would say for a commercial unit whole power design has to be custom. I would recommend more like 400V plus through the wire as my wire was heating a lot. I was using locally sourced teflon wire. Even though the wire was rated for 4amps it was heating up quite a lot even at 3amps especailly the left wire in the spool as it was concentrated, wire in air was alright, no measurable heating issue there.

• how did this work out...?   i am looking into a tethered drone concept for a search and rescue unit.

dennis

Pritam Ghanghas said:

Well I am building one. Haven't faced much problem till now. By the way I am in the process of buying one tdk-lamda 16v but they say at that voltage in 500gm wattage is only 720W. Also these are not plug and play. They require a parent board for some external components(nothing much capacitor, resisters and coils). Though the external components required seem lightweight enough But I guess mounting them on a board, required wiring and connector will be additional 150gm of weight atleast.

I am planning to use really thin teflon wire AWG 24/7/32. The wire is rated at 4amps. That will be enough upto 1000W. While testing I have drawn continous 6amps for 20 minutes and wire didn't heatup. The wire weighs only 359gms for 100meters. 

• Actually, this idea is not so far fetched, both with (normal working) input voltage and a light weight AC-DC converter.  I came across this idea awhile back and looked at using this product (available in either 500W or 1000W versions).

http://www.tdk-lambda.com/products/sps/ps_pm/pfe_f/indexe.html#

Both have a 28VDC working output that would work with a 6S system (that is what I am flying on my big hex).  The 500W version weighs-in at 300g and the 1000W version weighs-in at 500g.  My big hex could EASILY carry this payload (presently, I carry a 6S-16,000mAh battery that weighs 1900g, or 4.5 LBS!).

The AC-DC units in the link above work all the way up to 265VAC (input), and you can easily get 240VAC from your house AC power supply (that's what most dryers, stoves and water heaters operate from).  Now doing the math, let's say you want to run the 1000W model at 240VAC, that's just over 4A on the lead up to the multi-rotor.  #20AWG wire will easily carry this ampacity (up to 12A) with only 3% voltage drop up to a distance of 75'.  You could even carry a smaller battery (for high discharge rates when needed), then the "power-cord" would provide unlimited hoover flight times.  You could even go to 22AWG, but your distance will be reduced due to voltage drop.

I like it!

• Nice find. I like the look of that product.
      • Well I am building one. Haven't faced much problem till now. By the way I am in the process of buying one tdk-lamda 16v but they say at that voltage in 500gm wattage is only 720W. Also these are not plug and play. They require a parent board for some external components(nothing much capacitor, resisters and coils). Though the external components required seem lightweight enough But I guess mounting them on a board, required wiring and connector will be additional 150gm of weight atleast.

I am planning to use really thin teflon wire AWG 24/7/32. The wire is rated at 4amps. That will be enough upto 1000W. While testing I have drawn continous 6amps for 20 minutes and wire didn't heatup. The wire weighs only 359gms for 100meters. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity