Hi all !

I need help about my MinimOSD freshly unpacked.

I've triple checked the cabling and I don't know why I've just a black image on my screen.
There is a suspicious comportement when I power on the system. I explain how it happens:
1. Connect correctly the Vin/Vout/RX/BLK between APM, MinimOSD and video transmitter 
2. Power on the APM 
3. Connect the battery balance connector 12V to the MinimOSD  

At point 2, the ST led (orange) blink and the D PWR (red) led power on and still.  
When I do the point 3, the ST led shut off and the A PWR led power on and still. 
After that, I just have a black screen... It's weird because the system worked at least once!  
The firmware is up to date and I use a XBee but I've not connected the TX port on the minimOSD.

What's wrong ? Someone can help me ?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Jerome

Views: 32198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This should be added to the wiki.

I have a similar problem on my v0.1 board

I am running +5 off apm as you are. I have removed centre pins on the analogue side also. There is a blob of solder over the "PAL" jumper.

OSD reads mav data and boots normally. I get osd with no video, but as soon as video is fed to it, the osd is gone.

Its got me stumped! Is there new code to fix it?

I've been powering mine directly from my main 3 cell battery and never had any problems.  I'm using the 1.1 rev, any ideas why I'm not seeing this problem?

Found this thread after getting the black screen.  I had my OSD powered via the video transmitter (5V) and from the APM telem port.  I was using 1 battery to power both the APM and the FPV setup and that resulted in a black screen

Fearing I fried the board I followed the steps above to try powering the OSD only from the APM and this has worked.

I now have the APM powering the OSD and the the camera being powered directly from the video transmitter.  The video signal and ground connect through the OSD for the video transmitter and the camera. The two solder pads (on on the front and the other on the back) of the OSD have been connected.  Again I only have 1 power source for everything.

Reading the above it appears others have had problems with this setup. Truthfully I would not have tried it if I didn't already think my OSD was dead.

Jerome,
Cold you please tell me what your final configuration was , and if your chip is not heating up now?,
Thanks
Fete,
After reading all recommendations and still not having a clear view of which is the safest way to power the minimosd , I would like to ask if your post is still valid, and you do recommend go this way,

Would very much appreciate your experienced advice,

Gustavo

Hi Gustavo, 

I work with two separate battery, the main one for the APM + motor + radio and one small other just for the video system. 
Safest way for me.

Thank you Jerome,
Are you using the same battery for the analog and digital side of the minimosd ?
Did you keep grounds of both sides separated or connected ?

I use the "basic wiring diagram" as explained on the minimosd website.

So, one battery for the "video side" aka analog and the digital side is powered from the APM, itself powered by the main battery.

Yes, separate ground.

https://code.google.com/p/arducam-osd/wiki/How_to_start_minim

The main mistake when you want to use the minimosd is to be impatient to play with it and just use one battery.

Hi,

As many of you, I already fried two minim boards (using a single Lipo)...

However I could repair it by replacing the max7456 chip (available as free sample on Maxim website).
It is quite straightforward to do, but I posted some details here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1883842#post24876545

Hope this helps !

Oh nice ! I will try this !
Thanks for the trick GrMis ! ;-)

Wish I had seen this thread before i fried my new 1.1 Minim board.. 

I did the recommended setup with 12v on video side and i could smell the fumes when the chip went up in smoke :-(

Have ordered 2 new max7456 and will try to fix.

I think there should be a warning on the Minimosd setup page!

I have already soldered the power blobs and will not power OSD from 12v batt anymore...

Is it safe that way or do you need to connect the ground between apm and video side as well?

Thank you for the fix GrMis!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service