Hi all !

I need help about my MinimOSD freshly unpacked.

I've triple checked the cabling and I don't know why I've just a black image on my screen.
There is a suspicious comportement when I power on the system. I explain how it happens:
1. Connect correctly the Vin/Vout/RX/BLK between APM, MinimOSD and video transmitter 
2. Power on the APM 
3. Connect the battery balance connector 12V to the MinimOSD  

At point 2, the ST led (orange) blink and the D PWR (red) led power on and still.  
When I do the point 3, the ST led shut off and the A PWR led power on and still. 
After that, I just have a black screen... It's weird because the system worked at least once!  
The firmware is up to date and I use a XBee but I've not connected the TX port on the minimOSD.

What's wrong ? Someone can help me ?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Jerome

Views: 32171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris, the documentation say that on the first page: 

The approach is to use two external power sources: 12V from a Lipo Battery and 5V from APM:

up to 12V... or not?!?

You need 12V from a 3S batt. It doesn't work with a 2S or a 4S.

I now have "black screened" my second minimOSD by doing the same thing (Using the same battery to power the APM2 and the minimOSD). I agree that the wiki must warn the user of this potentially fatal (to the OSD) situation.

What is getting damaged on the board doing this? Can it be fixed? Anyone know?

Is the only way to use the minimOSD is with two batteries?

Apparently there is no one at 3DR that can answer this question (been waiting two weeks), and they designed it.

Are you running 4s for your main battery?

The way to do it is to use a buck converter as I said below to drop down to 12v for the minimosd.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-DC-DC-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-...

You should also put a LC filter on the output of the buck converter (ferrite ring + 1000uf 25v capacitor). I have mine set up this way and it works flawlessly. 

If you want a cheaper replacement minimOSD you can get one for $40 or so from goodluckbuy.com

I am using 3S for my main battery.

Are you using the same battery for for APM & minimOSD?

I would rather stay with the 3DR one if I can.

OK, when I was using 3s, I had no problems running the same battery for the APM/minimOSD/12v camera.

I'm not sure how to help with your problem sorry.

Then you are the first person I have heard from that powered the mimimOSD/camera and APM from the same battery and did not destroy it  The earlier posts in this thread had the same results I did. Now I am really confused.

Mine was connected exactly as per the wiki. 5v from the apm to the ftdi side of the minimOSD, and 12v from the main lipo to the video in/out side of the minimOSD. Did you have yours connected differently?

I was using 5v from the APM2 to the ftdi side of the minimOSD. I was using 12V from a second battery to power the camera, transmitter and video side of the OSD. The wiki does not show the main battery powering the APM. When I powered the OSD and the APM from the same battery is when my OSD "black screened". Others have said you can't tie the grounds of both sides of the OSD together without damage to the board using 12V on one side and 5V on the other. Using one battery, both grounds would be tied together via the battery. But you are telling me you have done this without a problem.

I bought two minimOSD modules: a 0.1 and the 2.0 version (with the switching regulator). Just before my second flight out I fried the 2.0. I hadn't read the warnings from this thread but suspected a grounding loop fried it. I was, needless to say, a bit miffed. I had powered the video system before powering the ESC.

What's the point of making a super-small OSD if it requires a dedicated battery? I got it for small drones, after all. I hope that someone can solve the self-destruct hardware flaw as the firmware is coming along nicely.

I have been using the v0.1 model (powered by the APM). As a precaution, I now power up my drone as follows:

* Power to the APM/ESC (via deans plug)
* Power to the video system (via the balancing header)
* Wait a few seconds and cycle power to the APM, as the minimOSD won't boot otherwise.

As an additional bit of OSD flakiness, I note that if I power up the OSD and am getting good video, but then take off the lens cap, I lose the OSD. Cycling power to the APM brings the OSD back. I'm going to test this bug more tomorrow as it sounds a bit too strange to be true.

It does not.

Simply power it from APM. ;)

Also, don't use the middle pins on your video cables. (No + wire to MinimOSD trough video connectors, just signal and ground)

Link

That is all ;)

Gábor

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service