Mission Planner waypoints

I tried finding a recent post regarding this but everything was referring to APM 2.0/2.5 and even firmware 2.x.

I have 3.1.2 on my 3DRobotics APM 2.6 running Mission Planner 1.2.99. I am curious when creating a waypoint mission how the altitude works.

So I live on a street that goes up a hill pretty steep. If I tell my first waypoint at the bottom of the hill to be 100ft altitude and then my second waypoint is 500' away at 100' altitude but the hill is there will my quad run into the hill? I see there is verify height and saw in the wiki that you would check this box but some people were saying that in older versions of APM the quad wouldn't adjust until it got to the second waypoint resulting is it crashing. Of course I could just put a much higher altitude for the second waypoint but I really want to be 100' above that waypoint as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer
    Here's a link http://planner.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-planning-a-mission-with-wa...

@StevenG the behaviour is the shortest route between two points, but if an obstacle like a hill is in the way, the copter will crash. The evelvation map is useful to make sure your plans meets that criteria
    • Yes, of course. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I assumed his street was linear, with no mountain in the middle. :-)

• I fly a plane so cannot be absolutely sure on a quad but on the plane, the altitude gains gradually and proportionately towards the higher elevation.

There is a tool in MP, under Map Tool, called Elevation Graph. You can check to see if your height is sufficient to clear obstacles.

• I don't see that in my mission planner. Where exactly do you find it?

• Developer
    Altitude is set relative to your home position. So 100ft alt is 100ft and any distance from that point. If the ground raises by 50ft you will be 50ft from the ground at that point.
This reply was deleted.

Activity