Motor or ESC problem? Throttle level question

Hello,

I have a Steadidrone 2014 QU4D RTF (from steadidrone-usa) and I am trying to diagnose possible Motor/ESC problems.   It would be helpful to know what I should be expecting for throttle levels for a hover, but my study of forum posts lead me to believe that I may have hardware problems.
My quad has the Alexmos SDBG4 2-axis gimbal, a hero3 camera, and the 5200mah 4S battery.  It weighs in at 2.164 Kg with a 5200mah 4S battery on-board.  For those less familiar with this quad it is configured with T-3506 650Kv motors, APC 10x4.5 MR props, an APM 2.6 flight controller, 3DRUBlox GPS/Compass, Frsky Taranis X9D/X8R radio and a Hobbywing quattro 25A ESC.
Here are my observations:
When I hover (altitude hold or loiter) I notice that my throttle out values are near 800. I have attached a screen shot of the throttle input and output values for a long loiter.

I have also attached a plot of the real-altitude (GPS), Barometric Altitude, and commanded altitude (WPALT).

Finally I have attached a plot of the 4 motor outputs.

I have been having flight problems after about 4-5 minutes -- the craft would drop to the ground and then recover and repeat. This behavior coincides with the throttle on motor4 being maxed out. 

I had had a couple of minor crashes -- mostly drops at slow forward velocities into the grass. All told I damaged the ends of 2 props when the arms folded and the blades hit each other. Thus I thought that perhaps I had a bad motor (#4) which was requiring greater drive and not producing sufficient output -- forcing the other motors to compensate. I replaced motor 4 and motor 3 which had the highest values. This made some small improvement, but my throttle levels are still quite high.

Could this mean that I have a bad ESC, or might these normal levels for this quad?

I would be grateful for guidance on this question...

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 10.09.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 10.10.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 10.11.14 PM.png

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey, 

I have a friend with the exact same setup as you do and the exact same problem. Did you ever figure it out? I think its something to do with the escs.

At first, the copter couldnt achieve any lift. After factory resetting the esc, the copter now flies but drops slowly after few minutes.

Did you fix yours?

This reply was deleted.

Activity