My plane did crash with ArduPlane 2.74b

Yesterday I did have an unexpected crash with my Soarus Kyosho, 2m wingspan. First time with 2.74b.

Flight was short, nice takeoff, go to 80m altitude, start coordinated turn left, reduce speed and altitude and... not more any control, plane was nose down and crash into field with good speed.

It entered 10cm in ground, I did need some effort to extract it... The impact with ground was so big that battery case was broken.

I did use separate battery power for servos, (no jumper pn APM2.5), 4 x AA Sanyo Eneloop.

I did fly many hours with this h/w configuration, but with another (older) version of Arduplane.

I did fly this plane many times before, not major issues until yesterday. Wondering what could be the issue. I am confident is not my piloting skils, I have lot of hours piloting.

Could be brownout? I did check HVcc and looks good for me.

But all values from log and tlog stops at some moment. Even altitude, speed, throttle values is stoped abruptly.

The APM power supply was a separate source. Voltage/Current sensors was 180amp AttoPilot, but even connected, was not functional.

I will need to repair this plane, need lot of time and resources, but I need to know the reason of this crash and if this APM is still good.

On benchmark, after crash, all looks OK with APM, as gyro, compass, baro, all test in CLI looks good.

Thanks, Chris

APM2.5, Ardupilot 2.74b., 433 telemetry, uBloxGPS

3691055989?profile=original

3691055929?profile=original

3691056052?profile=original

3691056102?profile=original\3691056005?profile=original

3691056065?profile=original

2013-08-30 13-58-34_SoarusCrash.tlog

2013-08-30 18-31 39_SoarusCrash.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Loose batteries in an holder? Ror RC? Really? NEVER do that again, it is a very bad idea (as you already know now.....) Even for a transmitter it is not allowed at our club.

• Out of interest and preparation for my flight testing, I decided to take a look at your logs.

FWIW, it seems to me it was never flying in anything other than manual mode, so the crash was either your loss of control or loss of RC radio link and/or incorrectly set or pro-crash Rx failsafe values.

Like you say, APM was working all the way to the end, but wasn't being asked to do anything, so I don't think the crash can be blamed on it, at least as far as I can tell.

• Looks a lot like a general power failure to me.
    Maybe one battery became disattached from the holder? those holders aren't exactly known for their reliability.

IF you want to power the APM from a battery pack (I don't recommend it, use the power module instead)
    Then you have to use a soldered battery pack, like the NIZN receiver packs hobbyking sells.
    I see you use the dreaded deans connectors, it might be a good idea to switch over to more reliable plugs, like bullet connectors or XT60's

This reply was deleted.

Activity