Hi,

was anybody able to make this board to communicate with pixhawk via sbus?

I see some instructions here:
http://www.olliw.eu/storm32bgc-wiki/Configure_the_RC_Input#S-Bus

and I connected sbus out from PX4 to rc-0 pin. I set virtual channel configuration to SBUS.

I went to MP on pixhawk side, set BRD_SBUS_OUT=1 so it would pump out servo channels via sbus out, then set MNT)TYPE=1 for servo.

nothing works and there is no reaction on the gimbal. I am using both serial ports 2 and 3 for GPS. Port 1 has telemetry and 3DR radio on.

So I only have SBUS to communicate with this gimbal. Why it does not work?

Views: 5914

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a link to Randy's discussion and connection of Storm32 here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topicsearchin/drones-d...

And here is a link to the Git Storm repository:

https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/pull/2305

And here is a link to Randy's original developer discussion of the Storm32:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topicsearchin/drones-d...

I do agree that a wiki page covering this could be very useful, my guess is that it will actually be supported directly in 3.4 if it does not quite make it to 3.3.

Best,

Gary

well, my problem is - Telem2 port is having GPS on it. I am not going to fly with a single GPS unit no more.

and if GPS uses Serial 2 and 3 - I am not able to do what he writes in there about as he connected via Telem2, apparently.

so, where are we with that - do we know or not - is SBUS method of connection even doable on PX4 board?

or, I need an advice on how to swap serial5 port from FTDI role into Serial4 with telemetry role.

it is always named Serial 4/5 but I was never able to make it work as serial4 or accept GPS unit on it.

The SToRM32 wiki is here but we only officially support controlling the gimbal using the serial or MAVLink protocols.  The MAVLink protocol can only be used on Telem2 but the serial one can actually work on any ports.  The key is to set the SERIALX_PROTOCOL and SERIALX_BAUD parameters correctly.  I think for SToRM32 the port's baud should be set to 115 and it's protocol to "8".

It sounds like this is a request to support via SBUS but I really don't think that's a good idea.  Using SBUS is actually a step backwards because it's a one-way protocol instead of two way.  It's closer to how we control the servo gimbals or tarot gimbal with regular PWM outputs controls.

If you're really keen to get SBUS working, I think the problem with using SBUS will be related to:

1. the SBUS output from the Pixhawk is likely tied to the regular RC output used for the motors.  So SBUS channel 1 will have the same values on it that we send out to "MAIN OUT" 1.  You'll want to setup a gimbal servo output to some channel above the vehicle's highest motor (i.e. "5" or higher for a quad) and then the SToRM32 gimbal itself will need to be configuerd to read from the SBUS channel "5" (or whatever was chosen).

2. the SBUS output only starts when the safety switch is pushed I hear (I've never tested personally).

I have still problems using the serial protocol on RC 7 with the storm. I did the same setup for manual control as I did via Mavlink but the device does not respond via serial protocol. I also can´t control it anymore via Mission Planner. Is there an issue with RC7 Storm serial? Did anyone uses the serial setup, and can tell me where I did the mistake? I tested it with V0.80 and 0.82e with exactly the same result.

Attachments:

So I've tested and confirmed that the MAVLink communication still works fine with SToRM32 firmware v080.  Sadly the serial interface does not seem to work.  Seems like it's been broken somewhere between SToRM32 v070 and v080.

Quote from myself elsewhere (RCG)

My receiver is a X8R on mode D16 and is connected to the PixHawk via SBus.

Until 3.3RC7, these options were valid:

I could use the channels 9-16 via the receiver pins and connect also to the RC pins on the StorM32 (PWM), completely ignoring the PixHawk, and the PixHawk didn't even knew there was a gimbal.

Alternatively you could split the SBus out from the receiver with one end going to the PixHawk and the other to the STorM32, and also the PixHawk would not be aware of the gimbal

If you wanted to have the PixHawk "aware" of the gimbal the only option was to have a connection like this, from the AUX outputs of the PixHawk to the Gimbal (the example in the link is only controlling one axis but can be extended to more channels - on the screenshots you can see at least 4 channels being used, it's a matter of altering some parameters on MP manually, because MP won't let us do it on the GUI)
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/com...-tarot-gimbal/

These were controlled by my Radio Channels 9 to 12, and if on Mission Planner you had these as "passthrough" it was a direct control from the radio to those channels. Other options enable the control of the gimbal position by the PixHawk.

The purpose of RC2-3 in the screens above MUST always be a passthrough function.

As of 3.3RC7 there are even more connection options.

Via SBus instead of having a Y cable from the receiver you can make receiver to the PixHawk and PixHawk to Gimbal with 2 simple 3 pin cables, but functionally is the same as the Y cable above.

Also a new option is to use Serial connection between the PixHawk and the Gimbal, which can be combined with other connection options like above...

A lot of options, and we just have to stick to the one/ones which we feel most comfortable....

Randy, I am not sure if you saw my previous question - how to activate and use Serial4 interface?

I am using AUAV module but I assume it is same between pixhawk and that unit as pixhawk has same marking Serial4/5 on third serial port.

Telem1 feeds standard telemetry into 3DR radio/Teensy/MinimOSD.

Serial2 and Serial3 have GPS units on.

How to make a connection to Storm32 in this setup? If I remove GPS from Serial2 - how to move it into Serial4?

No matter what I tried firmware does not want to 'see' any device connected to that interface as it is shown by default as 'Serial5' with FTDI console role.

How to work around that?

>Via SBus instead of having a Y cable from the receiver you can make receiver to the PixHawk

>and PixHawk to Gimbal with 2 simple 3 pin cables, but functionally is the same as the Y cable above.

ok, please elaborate on this part.

I tried to connect SBUS OUT pin from PX4 into Storm32 but it did not do anything.

I want to make a setup that would allow this new idea of storm32 automated tracking functions. I am not quite clear what exact data exchange protocol is involved there, if it is one way communication from px4 -> strom32 or if it is 2 way px4 <-> stomr32 and it requires full serial connection.

If latter it is fine but I got stuck with lack of available serial ports as I want to continue to run 2 GPS units on the drone. Hope it makes sense what I am asking about.

Strange that happens to you.

A 3DR PixHawk, passes the SBus signals, just like when I had Y cable from the receiver. Of course that I assume that the STorM32 gimbal is correctly configured (and connected) to respond to SBus signals, which is completely different than the standard RC connection.

Although having the Serial5 available would be helpful (I raised this issue at a dev meeting) You still have 4 serial ports available, that on standard installation allows the use of 2 GPS' and a Serial gimbal. Again on a 3DR Pixhawk.

I believe from what I've read about the AUAV-X2 that it does NOT expose all the ports that a standard 3DR PixHawk does, so that might be something you should take in consideration.

could you pls post what exact parameters should be set on the storm32 configuration and in the pixhawk for this sbus connection to work?

I aould prefer by far to use that serial4/5 port but it does not seem as something that going to happen in the nearby future, unfortunately, so, SBUS is better than nothing.

I attached AUAV manual pdf, it refers to serial5 as UART7.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service