New to APM2.5

Hello folks,

I am relatively new to drones, especially the APM2.5 and am planning my first build.

The only real problem i have come up against is that i cant figure out how i am going to power the APM2.5 board!

I have read through all the pages i can find, and what it keeps coming back to is something like:

You can power it from the RC input, but also from the output with an ESC.

Now does this mean i can plug all my outputs from my 6ch RX into the inputs on the board, with the BEC from the ESC still going to my RX like normal?

Or does it mean i have to do the above - like normal - then plug some other power supply into one of the outputs on the APM2.5?

I understand the ESC must be in the outputs so the APM2.5 can control the throttle, but how can the board possibly get power from the input of the ESC?

Hope all that makes sense!

Any help would be much appreciated - as once i get this sorted out i can start assembling the parts!

Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi!

I had the same quastions and now (after reading this discussion) decided to make dual powering separately for APM input and output.

Now I have anotrher question (may be for another discussion?)

In manual for APM2.5 is wrote:

Connect your RC receiver to APM2's Inputs with female-to-female cables in the order shown above. Each channel that you want APM to control should be connected to an Input on the APM board. Typically, the Mode Switch (APM Input 8 for ArduPlane) is connected to any RC receiver channel that you have assigned to a three-position toggle switch on your RC transmitter (for most people, that's channel 5).

The question is: what to do if I have NO  "a three-position toggle switch", but only two-position one for channel 5. How to change the Mode?

• Well to power just the APM, a 2S 1000 mah battery should be fine?

I assume both batteries would need a common ground to function properly

• Developer

So I understand that when JP1 is open, I have to power APM from 2 power sources (ESC and BEC for example) at the same time on input and output, right? But if I understand it right, if one power source fails, the APM and servos will shut down. Or not? Because at the wiki it reads: 

NOTE: if JP1 open, power is required on both Input PWM and Output PWM

So, whats the point having 2 power sources if as soon one fails the system fails? 

And second, I have a 1700mah for APM and a 2x5000mah for ESC/MOTOR, I use a BEC for APM. Can someone tell me the best option from the alternatives below? 

1) APM powered via a 1700mah battery (OUTPUT PWM) + BEC + 2x5000mah for the motor 

2) APM and Motor powered by main battery 2x5000mah, APM via a dedicated BEC on OUTPUT PWM

3) APM and Motor powered by main battery 2x5000mah, APM via ESC BEC

What it is better to power APM via Input or Output? I understand that via input you have to put more voltage (5.3V) 

Thanks! 

• Developer

Is anyone using a dual power setup? 

Thanks! 

• Thanks guys!

I think i have the APM2.5 power supply sorted out now:

- leave the JP1 jumper in place

- 800mAh 3S w/ 3A BEC connected to one of the APM2.5 outputs

Cheers

• 12v power comes from the batteries that plug into the ESC's.

Generally ESC's, in addition to providing power output to the motors, also provide 5V regulated output through the cables that plug into the RX. That's the 3 wire cable coming out of the ESC. Red is your 5v+. Black is ground -. White is the signal.

The red 5V wire is used to power the RX and Servos. ESC's generally have a limit of about 3Amps they can provide to power the servo's and RX. So if you don't have many servo's you can use that 5v coming out of the ESC to power the APM.

Alternatively you can use a dedicated BEC that simply converts 12v to 5v.

• 3D Robotics

"Now does this mean i can plug all my outputs from my 6ch RX into the inputs on the board, with the BEC from the ESC still going to my RX like normal?"

Yep! Standard ESCs have a power regulator onboard, which can power both APM and the RC receiver. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity