Frame: Hobbyking Y650 Scorpion

I will be modifying this frame to be a quad.

Motors: KDA 20-22L x4

ESC: Turnigy Plush 30 x4

ArduPilotMega 2.0

Props

More Props

Battery: 5000mAh 3S1P 20C

Radio (will upgrade) HERE

I have heard people recommending you start out small but as fare as the most expensive part (the flight controller) goes going with a cheap (just gyro) one would just make it harder to fly.... No ?

Please comment, I need advise.

Thank You

John

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I know this thread is getting a little old, but I'm just in the process now of working out the best way to use my DT750 motors with the Y650 Scorpion frame.  

After much mucking around and evaluating the benefits in the past of using zip-ties (cable ties) to secure the motors on my V2.5 tricopter it looks like the best way is to drill four holes through the motor plates (two each side of the boom) and attach the DT750 base plates that way.  Since the stupid base plates have unevenly spaced holes, one side will have the holes further apart and the other closer together.  I fed the largest zip-ties that would fit through the DT750 base plate holes.  Seems to keep the top and bottom motors in place and you have the added benefit of the zip-ties snapping off in a decent crash to absorb the force of the impact.  I've stacked the Tricopter a couple of times now and the zip-ties just break clean without anything on the motor or prop getting bent out of shape. 

3692471090?profile=original

I've also stuck with the Turnigy 18A Plush ESC's I had been using on the Tricopter as they hardly get warm with the DT750's swinging GWS 1047 slow fly props.  

Can I also say that the cheap HK props have always been well out of balance and do not track straight.  Not the same issue with any of the GWS props I've purchased in the past.  The GWS props look cheap but they track straight and do not require much tape to get the balance right.  Barely any vibration from them.

Balance on the motors and props will be even more critical now that this thing will be swinging six props rather than three.

As far as stable controllers go, my MultiWii Paris V4 with Sirus IMU (gyro, accelerometer, mag and pressure sensor) is just as stable as my APM V1 board.  The MultiWill suffers from the same oddities with the magnetometer enabled as the APM board.  The KK board was nice as well however you had to work harder to get into a stable hover and the onboard video was not as stable.  

I also purchased the matching camera gimbal and stuck my old Futaba S3003 servo's on it.  Just trying to decide which camera to use with it.  Might redesign the motor/camera mount so that vibrations are isolated between them and the main frame.  Single board across the underside held on with thick silicone tubing and more zip-ties in a similar way to the Tricopter V2.5 design (rcexplorer.se).

Good luck with the conversion to quad with that frame.  + looks like the easier option rather than x.

Regards,

John

• I want too thank every one for there help here.

I'm still doing research and will post conclusions for you all to check on my build before i order.

About the FAILSAFE check, I think this should be done before every flight session. How hard is it i mean tie your quad down (or remove props) > arm > 1/2 throttle > turn off TX.

• What do you guys think of THIS motor ?

yhst-62196343123315_2208_78514726?width=580

• Also can You guy recommend a good fair priced radio ?

I would like to have 8 channel  so i can mode switch on the flight control (Alt Lock, Pos Lock, Return home, etc.)

I have always been a fan of Futaba but i haven't been in RC in years and it looks like there prices are still high.

I can spend some but I don't want to have to sell my car ;)

To add to what Dave said:

I use those motors and they've been fine. I use 25A HK Super Simple ESC's but Plush ESC's are 100%, have never had one go on me yet (have quite a few and I'm generally hard on equipment)

The 10x6 props are cr*p, I had two break in normal flight, in one of the crashes all the other props broke too.

The 11x47 are OK for practising (also expect to balance each) and possible later fast flying but I'm now using APC SF 11x47 (more expensive, harder to find sometimes, but quiet, efficient & balanced)

Battery fine although you might get a longer life from the 25C+ ones, I'm just past 170 cycles (Turnigy 25C 5000 3S), they started fading around #140 and now take about 3500mAh on recharge.

Check my other posts for current draw from this setup

• A tip with HobbyKing - have a look at the Reviews for the product you are considering.  Some are eye-opening.

For example, the motors you are considering get a panning for bad quality - failing after only a few flights.  I quite like these: DT750 but not sure if they suit the frame.

Also, the propellors get a similarly down rating.  I've tried some of them and they break very easily.  These are much better: Better Propellors  and Pusher Versions   If you want the best, go for APC.

That's another thing about HK - Out Of Stock stuff, like the Pusher Props.  They should come in soon, but sometimes you can wait months.  I've looked at that Scorpion frame a few times, but it's always been out.  Then again, maybe there's high demand and they are sold out as soon as they arrive.

I started with a Simple Flight Controller  It flies very well for what it is, but no GPS, Sonar, UAV ... capabilites of course.  The APM is very powerful, but along with that comes a big learning curve when it comes to PID tuning to suit your frame.

You might want to consider a Power Distribution Board as well.

This reply was deleted.

Activity