newbie but wannabe ... octocopter build ;-)

Hey one and all

I was wandering if any body could guide me in buying/building a good, reliable and sturdy octocopter to use  for aireal photography/cinematography (sorry for my english,but I'm danish)

As of now I have next to none experience in this field but hope to gain a lot over next many years :-)

Since this will be my first real encounter with this kind of aireal photography, then I do not want it to be overly expensive and at the same time I would like to get my hands a bit "dirty" which is why I would preffere not buy a off-the-rack kit

finally just to clearyfi ... I have nothing and therefore I need everything except for the actual camera :-)

I'm looking forward to rescieve alot of do's and dont's :-D

Kind regards

Jakob 

Views: 1193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The words "newbie" and "octocopter" are not a good combination. I'd suggest starting small and simple and then work your way up as you learn more about flying and working with multirotors. The quadcopter and hexacopter kits from 3D Robotics are a great starting place. When you inevitably crash them there are replacement parts available that are fairly inexpensive. There's also a large community of users with that hardware which makes it easier to ask questions and get help.

http://store.3drobotics.com/products/3dr-arducopter-quad-c-frame-kit-1

http://store.3drobotics.com/products/arducopter-3dr-hexa-b-1

Hi Luke

A big "thank you" for your reply,

You have two very strong arguments (spare parts availability and price) that brings reason in to the whole equation ... thank you :-)

What are the mayor differences on the quad and hexa,... is it more difficult with more propellars or just more expensiv ... also I would like to mount at gimbal for a camera so is there a preferrence in terms of quad or hexa 

What about controller units ... or what they are called in english:-) ... also here is the question regarding gimbal, is there somthing in particular that I should consider before buying the controller unit ?

Kind regards Jakob

The quadcopter and hexacopter are of equal difficulty to fly. The advantage of the hexacopter is a larger payload but it comes at a higher cost than the quadcopter. There are various types of camera gimbals, some will work with the APM (autopilot) and some have their own control board. Just about any radio will work as long as it has enough channels. A popular low cost radio is the Turnigy 9X (and 9XR). There are lots of other options out there (Hitec Aurora 9, Spektrum DX8, Futaba 8FG).

I would start with the 3D Robotics quadcopter to learn the basics. Then later look for a larger hexacopter or octocopter to carry a gimbal and camera. You could try to get one copter for both learning and later filming but I think you'd end up with one that isn't good for either task.

A lot of people think it will be easy because there's an "autopilot" but there's still a lot to learn and manually piloting the copter (which is a necessary skill) is quite difficult for people with no previous radio control experience. It's best to learn these things with a simple copter rather than a complex and more expensive copter. That's my opinion based on my own experience wanting to do much of the same things as you and I had no prior experience with flying radio control stuff.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service