Newly Minted Quad Has One Glitch

I have managed to take my bag'o parts and successfully assemble and calibrate it, but ran into one little strange thing.   This is a 3D quad with a new Spektrum DX7 (ordered with the kit) controlling.  When I was doing the ESC calibration the last step where you try to arm the motors from the sticks I couldn't get it to arm.  I moved and held the left stick to the right and then tried the right stick to the right and nothing happened.  In previous stage the motors were working fine but after its fully calibrated I couldn't arm them.  I went through this about 3 times.  This came up again when I was testing motor direction so I just did it from the setup menu which worked great.

I admit that not being an experienced R/C person the phrase "right rudder" doesn't really translate to "move (right/left) stick to the (right/left) so I have no idea if its just pilot error on my part or I have an issue in configuration.

I have the same trouble translating the mode switch.  During calibration it seems to be working but I have no idea what Mode 0 / Model 1 / Mode 2 on the controller translate to as far as flight mode.

Need some tutoring from you experienced pilots...

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just a follow-up.  Based on the suggestions in the thread I determined that for whatever reason I had to reverse the Rudder channel (Yaw in Mission Planner) and Aileron (Roll in MP) to match what seems to be standard behavior in Arducopter land.  Its actually somewhat different than described in the last reply for my DX7s (the currently shipping 3DR model).

While in the model you are using for the quad:

1. Hold the scroll bar down to enter the setup (hold select)
    2. Select "Servo Setup"
    3. Scroll down to the "Travel" box and select
    4. Scroll through settings to "Reverse" value and select to set the value
    5. Scroll to next box ("Throttle") and select 
    6. Scroll through settings to the value you want to change ("Rudder") and hit select to set
    7. Scroll down to the FOR | REV box that just appeared and select it to actually perform Reverse
    8. Repeat 3-7 for other control (Aileron)

I must say I find these R/C interfaces rather arcane.  Looking forward to when these things are Android devices.

• Is your DX7 in ACRO mode?

Were you able to perform the RC calibration through Mission Planner?

If connected via USB, you will see the flight data screen switch to 'ARMED' when things are ready to go.

Look over my blog post HERE.

It may be time to learn about the CLI - Command Line Interface.

Do you have a PC simulator? If not, your DX7 should work with FMS via an simple audio cable and another piece of software.

-=Doug

• 3D Robotics

It means the left stick should be at the bottom, right. Hold for two seconds or so until the LEDs start flashing (calibrating), and then when they're done one will remain solid. 

As for the modes, you assign them to flight actions (RTL, Loiter, Alt Hold, etc) in the Mission Planner setup process. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity