NO GPS after firmware update

I've started flying a Quadcopter (X configuration) with a Pixhawk 2.4.8 with a UBlox m8n GPS, without any big issues apart from the ones connected to the fact that I'm complete newbie on RC.

Anyway, some days ago I was experimenting some custom firmware to allow telemetry to be read from Frsky battery sensor along a few other data, but I soon realized that I might as well upgrade to the latest version of Pixhawk firmare, and that's what I did. I currently have the APM copter 3.5.3.

Unfortunately, since I've installed this firmware (actually I'm not sure if it is related or not), but my pixhawk is not detecting the Ublox GPS. I'm assuming it's not detecting the hardware itself since the information I get from Mission Planner is "GPS: No GPS". So, it's not a matter of not acquiring a GPS fix, but it's really a matter of not detecting the hardware?

I've left the GPS outside for a good hour to see if I was able to get a fix... but nothing

I'm still getting a blinking blue light from the Ublox GPS. Is it the GPS or some kind of configuration I should perform after the upgrade to this new firmware?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Carlos

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Casper,

I would expect this parameter to have the exact same name, because these are Pixhawk parameters. So whatever software you use to configure your quad the parameter names should be the same.

Anyway, I use Mission Planner.

Cheers,

Carlos

Casper Round said:

Carlos Jorge Martins Vicente said:

Hi Casper,

Like I said in a previous post, that one I have already fixed. In my case I only had to look for the GPS_TYPE and GPS_TYPE2 parameters and set GPS_TYPE2 to "Auto".

After that my GPS device was detected again.

For some reason after the firmware upgrade my GPS is considered a "second" GPS. You can set GPS_TYPE to "none" or leave it in "auto".

Cheers,

Carlos

Casper Round said:

Do you know what setting it would be in QGroundControl, I cant find it anywhere?

• Carlos Jorge Martins Vicente said:

Hi Casper,

Like I said in a previous post, that one I have already fixed. In my case I only had to look for the GPS_TYPE and GPS_TYPE2 parameters and set GPS_TYPE2 to "Auto".

For some reason after the firmware upgrade my GPS is considered a "second" GPS. You can set GPS_TYPE to "none" or leave it in "auto".

Cheers,

Carlos

Casper Round said:

Do you know what setting it would be in QGroundControl, I cant find it anywhere?

• Hi Casper,

Cheers,

Carlos

Casper Round said:

I'm having the same problem. My GPS is blinking blue, however there are no stats for the GPS in QGroundControl. The compass inside the GPS is working but just no gps satelites. Any luck with you?

• I'm having the same problem. My GPS is blinking blue, however there are no stats for the GPS in QGroundControl. The compass inside the GPS is working but just no gps satelites. Any luck with you?

• I'm not sure if I will yet! I'll look first for any more other issues and then decide if it is worth the trouble to revert and possible to tune it all over again.

You can always compile the previous release and install it through MP (there's an option to install firmware from file).

Cheers,

Carlos

Noli Sicad said:

I have difficulties using the previous firmware (i.e. Arducopter 3.4.6). Pixhawk 1 is kaput (not working) at the moment.  Inform us if you managed to revert to previous version firmware using MP.

Well apart from having my PID settings all messed up (I had to tune it again) and the GPS issue I didn't found anything else.

Maybe I should revert to a previous version just in case.

Which version are you running now?

Noli Sicad said:

Arducopter 3.5.3 for Pixhawk 1 is unusable. I got the same problem using Arducopter 3.5.3 in Pixhawk 1 ver. 2.4.7. This might be attributed to this bug.  https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/issues/6969  PX4IO not working.

• I have difficulties using the previous firmware (i.e. Arducopter 3.4.6). Pixhawk 1 is kaput (not working) at the moment.  Inform us if you managed to revert to previous version firmware using MP.

Well apart from having my PID settings all messed up (I had to tune it again) and the GPS issue I didn't found anything else.

Noli Sicad said:

Arducopter 3.5.3 for Pixhawk 1 is unusable. I got the same problem using Arducopter 3.5.3 in Pixhawk 1 ver. 2.4.7. This might be attributed to this bug.  https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/issues/6969  PX4IO not working.

• Well apart from having my PID settings all messed up (I had to tune it again) and the GPS issue I didn't found anything else.

Noli Sicad said:

• Arducopter 3.5.3 for Pixhawk 1 is unusable. I got the same problem using Arducopter 3.5.3 in Pixhawk 1 ver. 2.4.7. This might be attributed to this bug.  https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/issues/6969  PX4IO not working.

Notify LED broken · Issue #6969 · ArduPilot/ardupilot
    On px4-v2/ pixhawk 1 Notify LED is non-functional for Plane, Copter, Sub. This commit appears to be the culprit. 697131e
  • Hello guys, I am Olivia Williams newly joined here

------------------------

Assignment Help

Assignments for all courses worldwide - BA, Diploma, & Certificate
    Locus Assignments is the most popular and trusted name in UK for assignment sample and support services. We are now in US and worldwide, Please reach…
  • Well in the meantime, browsing through the Full parameter tree I've found these two parameters:

GPS_TYPE
     and GPS_TYPE2 for a 2sd GPS.

Now, I don't remember to ever had to configure these, but in this case:

GPS_TYPE = 1 (which is "Auto" detection)
    GPS_TYPE2 = 0 (which is "None")

First I thought that Pixhawk was just having some trouble detecting the hardware so I decided to give it some help by setting GPS_TYPE to 2, which is "Ublox", but with no success. So,my next try was to set both GPS_TYPE and GPS_TYPE2 to 1 ("Auto") and the Pixhawk detected the hardware this time.

It seems that after all my ublox GPS device connected to the GPS and I2C ports in the Pixhawk is considered a "second" GPS??!? 

Any ideias?

This reply was deleted.

Activity