No GPS Light

I just successfully loaded code base 2.6.2 for ArduPilot and when I attempt to power up the AP only get a red light and the blue GPS light never comes on, doesn't blink or anything.

The GPS light did start blinking after the code was successfully loaded while connected to the computer but after pwering down and removing the FTDI cable and attaching the GPS and powering back up it doesn't come on.

Setup:

ArduPilot 2.6.2 code base

Shield V1 (red)

GPS: 406

Setting in AP_Config file:

//HARDWARE CONFIGURATION
//0-1
#define SHIELD_VERSION 0  // Old (red) shield versions is 0, the new (blue) shield version is 1, -1 = no shield
//0-2
#define AIRSPEED_SENSOR 1   // (boolean) Do you have an airspeed sensor attached? 1= yes, 0 = no.
//0-3
#define GPS_PROTOCOL 1   // 0 = NMEA, 1=SIRF, 2=uBlox, 3 = ArduIMU, 4 = MediaTek, 5 = Simulated GPS mode (Debug), -1 = no GPS
//0-4 Ground Control Station:
#define GCS_PROTOCOL 0   // 0 = Standard ArduPilot (LabVIEW/HappyKillmore), 1 = special test, 2 = Ardupilot Binary(not implemented), 5 = Jason's GCS, -1 = no GCS (no telemtry output)

//0-5 and 0-6 are for use with Thermopile sensors
//0-5
#define ENABLE_Z_SENSOR 1    // 0 = no Z sensor, 1 = use Z sensor (no Z requires field calibration with each flight)
//0-6
#define XY_SENSOR_LOCATION 0  //XY Thermopiles Sensor placement
//Mounted right side up:   0 = cable in front, 1 = cable behind
//Mounted upside down:    2 = cable in front, 3 = cable behind

//0-8
#define BATTERY_EVENT 0   // (boolean) 0 = don't read battery, 1 = read battery voltage (only if you have it wired up!)
//0-9
#define INPUT_VOLTAGE 5200.0  // (Millivolts) voltage your power regulator is feeding your ArduPilot to have an accurate pressure and battery level readings. (you need a multimeter to measure and set this of course)
//0-10
#define THROTTLE_FAILSAFE 0  // Do you want to react to a throttle failsafe condition? Default is no 0, Yes is 1

#define THROTTLE_PIN 11

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If the red light is blinking on the EM-406A, that means that is is processing position data and sending it out NMEA text (specifically it blinks 1x per second when sending the GGA message if I recall). When the GPS successfully receives the command to go in to binary mode, the LED will remain in whatever state it was in (on or off) at the time the command was recognized. At the next power-on, the red LED will barely glow. In bright light you may not see it at all.

So, it sounds like your GPS did have a fix, and is now in binary mode. All good.

You're new around here? But have an old, red, shield? Not the red ArduPilot, the red shield?

What happens when you remove the shield, and plug the GPS in to the ArduPilot directly?

The only gotcha to all this is the mux on the shield board. When the Ardu SW runs it switches the mux to ignore the serial lines on the programming (FTDI) connector and listen to the GPS. So if it works plugged in directly but not thru the shield then we know the mux isn't switching the signal. Either the mux is fried (unlikely) or a bad connection (very possible) or the software is not commanding the right pin to switch the mux. (It is on different pins on the IMU vs the shield, can't exacly say on different shield versions.)

After you remove the FTDI, how are you powering the Ardu?
  • Just check it carefully , it must be in Sirf protocol mode,so the GPS light becomes very dim to intimate the sirf mode. So i think you have to check ur telemetry data eithr gps is working or not. It should be.
This reply was deleted.

Activity