Object Avoidance Pixhawk Quadcopter

I'm not looking for answers I'm looking for guidance. I'm doing a University quadcopter project, and I purchased a pixhawk for autonomous flight mode and I will be using mission planner. I'm going to use 5 ultrasonic sensors placed on the drone, that will ultimately, connect to a beaglebone black. I was thinking of writing a python script for the sensors but I'm slightly confused and don't know where to begin.

How do I interrupt the way point mission planner to run my script once the quad copter is too close to an object? I'm not exactly sure how this works.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We wrote a searching pattern algorithm that the drone would travel, while a separate raspberry pi like board was doing image processing to look for characteristics of a flame. Once it found a flame it would send an interrupt to the flight controller and release a chemical to drop on the fire. The payload was carried by a custom designed box with a solenoid controlled release door.
  • Thanks for your reply. And what were you able to do at the end of the project with your drone? 

Adam Kutchak said:

BOM.xlsx.pdf

That is just about everything except we didn't use a flir Tau camera, we used some hd webcam

I'm not looking for answers I'm looking for guidance. I'm doing a University quadcopter project, and I purchased a pixhawk for autonomous flight mode…
  • BOM.xlsx.pdf

That is just about everything except we didn't use a flir Tau camera, we used some hd webcam

• What was your architecture? What kind of drone did you use? Which camera and which onboard computer? 

Thanks a lot for your time

Adam Kutchak said:

We had a camera attached and it search for a fire and drop a chemical fire suppressant (baking soda) on the fire
    I'm not looking for answers I'm looking for guidance. I'm doing a University quadcopter project, and I purchased a pixhawk for autonomous flight mode…
  • We had a camera attached and it search for a fire and drop a chemical fire suppressant (baking soda) on the fire
  • Can I ask what you did achieve? Im trying to do something similar and any help you could give would be great

• Unfortunately it didn't, the object avoidance was a stretch goal that we didn't have time for
  • Did this ever get completed? 

• 3D Robotics

Use DroneKit for that, with an onboard companion computer (RaspberryPi works great).  It's uses Python based. You can get the Ultrasonic sensor states with this the VehicleState function. 

• So I will write the entire mission planning script with this? Or is there a way to interrupt the mission planner, make it move away from an object, then return to the mission planner? I apologize I don't know much about drones, my group decided they wanted to do a drone project.

This reply was deleted.

Activity