Obstacle Avoidance

So is there any test code for obstacle avoidance posted online?  I would like to have something to start with but I am unable to find any code.  Any help?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I saw DJI put one out for developers. It's not cheap but I but love to figure out how it ticks.

• Pretty impressive, wonder if they have mapped this whole area with that short range lidar they have mounted on octacopter. Still $1,000 for the unit is an overkill if only used for obstacle avoidance unless you do some 3d Mapping with it like they one on the video.

There are some cheaper units but I guess they are not so fast or sensitive. There was this discussion lately that shows a cheap implementation Neato like  based lidar.

http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/cheap-lidar?id=705844%3ABlo...

• Lidars? Oh no that sounds more like in 10 years :) Lidars are pretty expensive and the latest area of usage I have heard is self-driving vehicles like Google Car. But if that eve happens it it would be interesting. Then we can use lidars for other porposes too ... 

• Developer

There are several test videos on youtube already. One most advanced system that i have seen is from Phoenix Aerial. They have small LIDAR under their Octo copter and they are getting nice readings out from it. 

Phoenix is not only system that people are working. There are several others too. 

Will we ever have small and "cheap" obstacle avoidance for quads for example... Really hard to say. Then again what is cheap?? Some years ago we talked about 10.000+ USD for small lidar and now prices are closing 1.000+ USD or so.

• Developer

Nope, there are several companies making small lidars and some of them are already starting to work. Ok they are not going to be free for sure. Smallest Lidars are really small. Something like 50mm diameter and 80mm high full 360 degree lidar for multicopter use.

Anyways whole obstacle avoidance will be really difficult, it needs both fast sensors and fast computing to make it working. Currently Lidar seems to be only way to do it if we want fast and accurate detection.

• Its has been almost 2 years since the last post on this thread. Are there any updates in this area of intereset? 

• Developer

Not really. There is still some sensor issues that needs to be solved first. Most likely proper obstacle avoidance starts to work when LIDAR systems are getting better. There are several projects going on this area but nothing is released yet. Most likely something will be released during this year. 

• Hi, I am looking for someone to supply a system that can the obstical avoidance for a quad . Can you do that?
    Howard. Owlhh@aol.com
  • Actually, yes, I do have results.  We now have a fully autonomous quad that has obstacle avoidance.  Send a command to go forward (any distance) and the MAV avoids all obstacles while locating to the desired coordinates.  We used Sharp long range IR sensors and the Parrot AR Drone.

• Tell me the code please
      nugrohoseno07@gmail.com

This reply was deleted.

Activity