Octo-X, bicycle wheel design #2.

Q: will it fly?  fly well?
3690970923?profile=original

I'm prototyping my latest design - got my motor mounts put together.  Other than the plate in the middle, this is the only thing that isn't out-of-the-box... but could be made very simply if they prove to be robust enough:

3690970867?profile=original

Am now toying with a 4+4 octo design - with 4 motors pulling, and 4 motors pushing such that the props can overlap about 2cm at the tip, but because of the over/under design never actually come close to interfering.

3690970950?profile=original

This is a mountain bike wheel - for a 26" wheel - the OD measures 22.5" with props @ 24.5" diam.  

(am going to try using 4 pulling 880kv motors with 11x4.7 blades, and 4x850kv with 10x4.7 blades)

The next step up using the wheel design, with similar mounts, would be a road-bike wheel which measures 25"diam. and would have props @ 27"diam.

Here is the 2cm overlap from above:

3690970965?profile=original

I'm interested to know what behavior I might get with this combo - has anyone tried it?  Am I off my rocker?  Working on fixing up the center stack now.  I've flown a quad with this setup before... it worked pretty well when the ESCs weren't overheating for the hot day + heavy camera load.

Feedback very appreciated!

~jake

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  few of the designs I am playing with now.... Jay, whats up with you project?

Any new development on the rimcopter ?

P1010830.JPG

Raven Y6 side.JPG

x Quad Wheel.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702748583?profile=original
    • I've been running the thought of the Y in my head and saw yours.what size rim did you use?where did you get it?did you cut it in 1/3?or what are the rim spans cut to cut?

• here is my latest effort ; )

x Quad Wheel.jpg

x quad wheel b.jpg

Motor mount.JPG

• Mine floats :)

the pool noodles weigh not so much...

octo wheel.jpg

• here she is .... tested in 30Km gusts w/ gopro hero and FPV kit.. still flies nice and smooth :)

octo wheel.jpg

• Ok... I flew the octo wheel today... Set up using octo +

4s 5000 / 22/15 900Kv / 20A ESC / 9/6 Props

The craft flew surprisingly well... overall the most stable multi I have flown to date.

Mavic 319 DISC rim 700c weight listed as 595 grams...

AUW for the octo wheel, including 4s 5000mAh 70c = 2.5 kg

Waiting for the gimble... and building landing gear... pics and video coming soon.

• It's not exactly Octo... it might be at some point in the not distant future - but for now, Quad will have to do!

With the new uBlox GPS receiver, I am getting some incredible loiter accuracy... so much so that I was comfy pulling the iPhone out of my pocket and shooting a video with the transmitter largely unattended!

My original concerns that there might be too much resonant vibration seems to be unfounded - I'm happy to report!  And 4 spokes seem to be perfectly sufficient to carry the central load:

3692803926?profile=original

• humm... i thought i was the only one crazy enough to try this.... I just started to put something together last night, then found this thread.

I am using a 700c Road rim .... and I have the center stack laced into the wheel with stainless spokes.

Looks kinda cool actually, i'll snap a photo a bit later. I plan on using the spoke to lash some hardware onto.

I plan on setting it up as an octo, using 22/15 900Kv motors on 20A and 9/5.

APM 2.5.2 is running the show.

The idea is to boom a DSLR on gimble... More on that later.... did You ever get this thing to fly?

• I did something similar.  Pics and videos below:

Flat octo, wheel design.

Rick

• awesome idea. does it fly yet? fly well?

:D

This reply was deleted.

Activity

DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @chr1sa: On May 22, we're returning to in-person AI @DIYRobocar racing at @circuitlaunch. The Amazon @awscloud DeepRacer team will be pr…
6 hours ago
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @breadcentric: On my CV: Hobbies: Training bananas to race on tracks #AWSDeepRacer #DeepRacer https://t.co/MKe14hNyux
6 hours ago
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @breadcentric: See how the April AWS DeepRacer races have ended and a couple bits of news: https://blog.deepracing.io/2021/05/09/aws-deepracer-league-2021-update-11-end-of-april-special/ #AWSDeepRacer #Machin…
Monday
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @sunilmallya: Representation Learning +Instance Transfer to learn new reward functions along with advantage based filtering of new exper…
Monday
DIY Robocars via Twitter
Apr 27
DIY Robocars via Twitter
Apr 27
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @f1tenth: Sliding (autonomously) into the weekend like ... 🤖😎 #f1tenth #robots #AutonomousVehicles @OpenRoboticsOrg @NVIDIAEmbedded @Aut…
Apr 25
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @chr1sa: One of the problems with autonomous car racing is that watching software drive is not a very exciting spectator sport. To help…
Apr 25
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: Replaced AGX Xavier with @NVIDIAEmbedded Jetson Xavier NX. Now both cars look fast and clean https://t.co/jlcoY2EjZf
Apr 25
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @chr1sa: Yesterday we had a record number of competitors (36) in our monthly @DIYRobocars virtual autonomous car race. We kept it going…
Apr 25
DIY Robocars via Twitter
Apr 16
DIY Drones via Twitter
RT @chr1sa: After more than a year of only virtual races, @DIYRobocars returns to the newly renovated @circuitlaunch on May 22 for the resu…
Apr 11
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @DAVGtech: And now available with LiDAR 🔥 https://twitter.com/Heavy02011/status/1381137016381964293
Apr 11
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @Heavy02011: #VirtualRaceLeague: @DIYRobocars Race #9 - #ParkingLotNerds #thunderhillracetrack, CA Join us for the next race April 24th,…
Apr 11
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @DWalmroth: Weather's finally cooperating, looking forward to racing 1:10 scale autonomous cars outdoors again! @diyrobocars, @NVIDIAEm…
Apr 7
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @AIDRI_: I finally succeeded in optimizing the trajectory and speed of a car on a #racetrack. Next step: implement a 2d controller and…
Apr 7
More…