Octocopter Frames Kits

I have been flying an arducopter quad for a while now and want to build an octocopter next to provide a more reliable platform for a better camera. I am hoping some of you could recommend a good frame kit or share your octocopter build details. I have looked at the Droidwork AD8 heavy lift and like this design except the price tag. I still may go for this frame but then I would need to know who is a better supplier in terms of pricing say in the US or Asia Pacific region. Driodworx used to sell off their web site but they have a network of resellers now and the price varies a bit.It would still be good to, look at other octocopter designs before I settle on a solution.Any ideas / thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Since I last posted I have been busy collecting parts for my Octocopter.  While I appreciate all the suggestions I have decided to build a hybrid taking the best bits from different designs.  For example I think I will build something like the Cinestar vibration mount, to carry the Photohigher AV200 Gimbal.  I was lucky enough to catch a previous supplier of Driodworx who is switched to Cinestar, They had a few spare parts very chaep so I grabbed the lot.  I am now the proud owner of most of a AD-8 heavy lift frame.  I just need to find a good supplier of Carbon fibre 3k twill tubes.  I need 17mmOD and prefer a gloss finish.  Thanks to John's note on the Cinestar like frame from Goodluckbuy, they do have what I am looking for.  However I am not sure of the quality.  So perhaps someone can suggest a european or US supplier who would have 17mm tubing?  I have decided on a 410 to 440mm arm length depending on whether I run 12'' or 13" props.  I do like the Goodluckbuy Octocopter kit which has a bigger diametre boom (I think 20mm) however now I have the AD8 I will build something around this.   Again if you have any good carbon tube manufacturers /suppliers who sell a suitable carbon tube for multicopter use I would appreciate some links / references.

• Hey again all, just took some new pics of our new frames, thought I'd post them here quick, keep an eye on steadidrone.com, will go live this week with the full range and pricing :)

3692442219?profile=original3692441998?profile=original3692442289?profile=original3692442236?profile=original3692442362?profile=original

• Developer

I ordered one of these a couple of days ago. Haven't received it yet so can say anything about the quality yet.

From the pictures it looks the design is based on the Cinestar with some modifications.

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/professional-fpv-22mm-carbon-fiber-octa-...

• I love the arm design.  Quick release for travel?

I noticed that your APM seems off center a bit.  Does that cause any issues with maneuvering? 

• Duran how are you guys doing your power distribution in the octocopter photos you posted? For example do you use a circuit board or just soldering all the wires together?

I have had a closer look at the droidworkx AD-8 frame kit and it is incomplete at the $1000 price tag. There is no landing gear or power board to assist with wiring the ESCs. All you get is basically two circular carbon fibre centres, 8 x booms and motor mounts plus the basic hardware nuts and bolts. The booms themselves are not specially made and have just one hole drilled in the end which anyone could replicate. In. terms of finish the booms are flat unsealed carbon tube; no clear sealant I can see. Would someone who has bought one of these AD-8 frame kits care to comment if I have correctly assessed the AD-8 kit components. I have also just seen a recent post about splitting carbon tubes in the droidworx landing gear which is sold seperately.

I think what I am looking for now is a good designed centre section with some board layers to accommodate the electronics. Highly desirable would be an Octocopter power distribution system to minimise wiring and keep the centre hub clear of abstructions. i.e allow good airflow around the electronics. Also a good locking motor mount suitable for round carbon tube would then give me the flexibility to purchase this stock at a reasonable price.
  • I'm feeling tempted to build a $10 Octocopter frame ;)

Specs:

30" motor to motor
    11" props max
    4 batteries, powering 2 motors each -> Heavy
    Easy power distribution, 2 female deans soldered into a 4mm plug

3/4" pine arms

3692433967?profile=original

This is the hexa frame built with the same method (can lift 10+ lbs):

3689455777?profile=original

• How much did the entire thing cost?

• Duran very nice design. It looks like it readily takes the photohigher 2-3 axis gimbal and retract landing gear from your website construction page opening photo. Also Looks like the arms just plug into a three pin socket for ready replacement / assembly. Thanks for the build photos, very tidy wiring and layout. Highly apprecited.
  • Hey Greg. We design full carbon fibre octos RTF and frames, similar to dw but have some extra cool features and at a better price tag. pop me an email for more info, here are some quick pics of another RTF kit we are building for a client. Our SteadiDrone website will go live soon. info@steadidrone.com

3692433596?profile=original3692433779?profile=original3692433817?profile=original3692433793?profile=original

Regards

Duran

This reply was deleted.

Activity