Open source flight controller or DIY?

I'm currently pursing a project to make a drone, I'm in the process of ordering a drone frame kit that has everything I need for a drone except a flight controller. I have 3 main goals I would like to achieve:

1. Learn how control theory is applied to drones (I have theoretical background on classical and modern control theory).

2. Would like to control my drone via different inputs from other devices not the standard joystick control (hacked playstation controller, myo band etc..)

3. Have it track and follow me. 

Later down the road, I would like to scale this project to have some simple formation flying with 2 or 3 drones possibly.

My question is should I try to make a flight controller from scratch. Which is quite a serious undertaking but the learning experience would be tremendous.Or is there an open source platforms I can use with good documentation that I can easily add features (follow me, formation flying) and that takes inputs from other devices as I described above. I know there are many open source platforms, I'm just not too sure which one would be the best for my project. 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• PS: having navigated to DIY Drones with your web browser, an appropriate open-source controller to achieve goals 1, 2 and 3 is staring you in the face.

• You should back the truck up a bit, remove the wheels and then try reinventing them first...

This reply was deleted.

Activity