Hi the idea here is to come up with a new UAV specific airframe design for the DIY community. Seeing that the AP's are rapidly improving and are cost effective for DIY we have no Airframe to match. We need something with Ailerons to start with, its the only way to fly properly and prevent nasties. A Pod design may be the most flexible as they can be interchanged, also if positioned at the CG it will help to keep the airframe light and reduce CG problems with differing Pods/Payloads.

We need some new standards for form factor for the AP and Payload to ease the pain of design and prevent the issues with adapting other designs. To start the ball rolling a few ideas below:

UAV specific design, long term platform
Cost effective, not cheap
Airframe with Rx, AP, Batt
Pod for payload/AP (Interchangeable for different missions/payloads) with own power
Pod design to form factor & Volume (maybe different Pod designs for same Airframe)
New AP form factor (standardization) for mounting and space utilization

Requirements:
Max Payload
Max weight to conform to legislation, also max speed
Duration, batt size & motor
Airframe weight (lower means more payload)
Sturdiness
CG
Stability
Pod vibration isolation
Sensor vibration isolation
Sensor mounting points on airframe with wire pathways to ease installation & attachment
Pod electrical connector or means to electrically connect to Airframe
Pitot tube and/or AoA sensor build in, baro sensor position
Wheeled or not
Land and stall speed
Gimball for camera and other sensors

Rgrds
Sarel

Views: 16725

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

to carry heavy loads. no, it's just a joke ;)

we would buy a few of these!
These do fly quite well as small toy...
Yes, it does fly so well....imagine like a 70 inch wingspan version with some ailerons and elevator....wow. It was just so stable even as small as it was. I used to put a dime (us coin) on the front with a piece of velcro and it could easily handle 10 mph winds. When I get skilled enough to build my own airframes I am going to be remembering this design!
Hello again

Exams are almost done... Calculus tomorrow and electronics next friday!

I would just like a recomendation on the motor side of things. Need to get a plane flying after the exams...

Plane AUW1.7- 2.3kg. Would the 3015-07 tower pro motor have enough power? it is rated at 470W and 1000kv, will be using a 3s 2500mah or 3700mah batt... And any estimates on the flight times?

Thanks
Gerrit
Hi
principally there should be enough power from that motor for your plane, 200W/kg is good standard for motor models. Flight time depends on how much power you really use; but lets say that you cruise around on 100W.
Power in battery = 11V x 2.5Ah = 27.5 Wh = 1650Wmin. 1650Wmin / 100W = 16.5min and for the 3700mAh you will (may) get around 25 minutes. If you have an efficient plane it could be even longer.
Hey - but is that not part of your calculus? :-)))

W.
Of course, splitting the powerplant so nicely solves the problem of a front prop - while retaining the simple backend.

On the other hand - no commercial uav has this configuration - so it bears asking why not.

I suggest the answer is along these lines:

2. Larger props and motors are more efficient, so a single prop in the middle will have longer range than this double prop. The ideal prop speed is just slightly faster than airspeed, smaller props spin faster and experience more turbid airflow.

3. The passenger/payload area is pretty far forward of the CP/CG so the CG will likely change a lot depending on the payload. The optimally CG-stable design will have the motor balance the tailfeathers, leaving the maximum payload space under the wing.

1. This plane probably cannot fly one just one prop - so the motor risk is not MTBF/2 , but rather twice MTBF. (This could be solved by moving the motors inside.)
Sarel,
what's the status of the project?
Foster
Hello,,Iam new in this forum and i have a problem with IMU for generating pitch angle ,
I am using the Y-Gyro for short range BUT i must make another sensor (accelometre ) along with Y-Gyro for long range correction using adaptive filtring tecq- ,,which accelometre should i pick for this problem,,I am thinking of the X-accelometre but it will be effected by the UAV motion,,so iam thinking of using Z-accolmeter ??? so please help me on this and thanks in advance

It looks like this project has stalled. However, perhaps everyone will be interested to note that an Open Source Airframe has just been released by the OpenRelief project.

Here is an overview of the specs:  
* Length 1.4 meters
* Wing span 1.8 meters
* Chord 30cm
* Uses counter-rotating motors (redundancy, speed, balance, no torque)
* Uses remote servos (wing flaperons, the tail surface) for more storage and ease of repair
* Empty weight 3kg
* Thrust is 12kgs
* Max load 12kg (lift at 100mph/160kph is approx 12kg)
* Endurance is between 1 to 4 hours with existing specifications
* Wings can be repositioned to change CoG for large payloads
* Stringers located on the fuselage to carry the wing, landing gear and other items (modules)
* These channels also hold internal items like the motor via bulkhead rings, for quick changes
* Fuselage can carry liquids (same diameter as 2L bottle of cola)
* Can be launched by rail and use parachute recovery
* Can be fitted with front wheels for conventional landing in rough fields

You can find out more here:

http://openrelief.org/pipermail/developer_openrelief.org/2012-July/...

Very Cool Sarel !

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service