I got the 3D Robotics optical flow device few weeks back. Yesterday I soldered the connecters and loaded the sketch " AP_OpticalFlow_test.pde" to an Arduino mini pro. I selected digital pin 10 to be the chip select pin (NCS).

This does not work for me as I get the error message "Failed to initialize ADNS3080".  In the library I see that the byte returned should be 0x17. However when I print the value returned, I see that the value returned is 0xFF. As the device is unable to initialize, the error message is reported. Has anyone else faces this issue? How can I rectify this? A picture of my setup is attached. I had the feeling that my wires are too long for the 2Mhz signal to travel from the sensor to the arduino. So I slowed the SPI clock, still I see the same behavior. I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

3690941781?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello! 
    Could anyone help with connection pinout and working example of Optical flow with any arduino (mini, nano, mega). 
     All my afforts end with: "The sensor not initialised"

Thank you!".

• Hi  Cool Dude and the others,

I am a newbie with arduino. I am trying to setup the Optical Flow sensor on an Arduino Uno Board. I believe this is really similar to your configuration, since the "Arduino mini pro" is a different version of the "Arduino Uno". I am trying to compile the "AP_OpticalFlow_test.pde", but I am having a lot of errors.

I have basically copied all the libraries from the "ardupilot_mega" folder to my arduino/libraries directory. This has corrected many compile errors, but I am still getting errors from the "SPI3" library.

How did you manage to compile get the "AP_OpticalFlow_test.pde" code working on the Arduino mini pro?

Thanks,

• This is embarrassing for me. It works fine now. I was connecting MISO at sensor side with MOSI at arduino side and vice versa. Once I fix the connection it works fine.

Thanks

• AH HA! Just been poking around the comments on the wiki. Looks like for the APM2 you'll need to comment line 22 and uncomment line 23. Looks like it's doing something now.

• I'm having the same problem too. Connected to an APM2 as directed in the wiki, but fails to initialise.

• Hi,

I have the same issue with APM2 and flow sensor.

I have the same error "Failed to initialise ADNS3080". When I print the config it says:

Config: 11111111,11111111
        product id:     FF (hex)
        frame rate:     366 (manual)
        resolution:     1600
        shutter speed:  65535 (manual)

I tested the conectivity with a multimeter and all wires are connected properly.

Anybody with the same problem/solution?

This reply was deleted.

Activity