I know I need to get a permit to fly drone for aerial photography business. Can anyone point me to the permit application requirement? Do I have to be active pilot? If yes, what is the lowest/cheapest pilot license I can get?

Views: 6271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You don't need any FAA certificate to apply and be granted a 333 exemption. Just like most people who own airlines are not pilots. However your 333 exemption will most likely require a certificated pilot during any operation requiring the exemption.

I have had a look at the FAA website and have gone through the designations, but I still wonder whether research that is not related to the actual engineering of the UAV warrants a business type 333 exception?  In other words, to fly a UAV to do archaeological survey or to photograph excavation, what would be the appropriate class if you want to do this yourself and are not receiving payment because it is your own research that will not profit in terms of straight monetary gain?

Does anyone know what the time frame is for FAA developing actual licensing procedures?

It looks like you might benefit from a conversation with Wil Cashen at uavsa.org. give him a call and maybe he can give you some direction.

Ok So what about flying over private land with the owners consent (Like A farm) and staying under 400 feet. That should be Private airspace and not require any permit right? I mean maybe draw up a paper for the own to sign that gives you permission to fly over his land.

And since I am not flying in Public airspace, and not over public property, The FAA shouldn't even being involved. 

On a side note, it would be nice to have a multi part poll running for the following Options (So you can go back later and add the results  (even better if it was divided by states, or to make it easier have the state or at the very least have you select your state)

So the option would Be (And you could change the order) State, Applied for exemption, and then make it so they can go back and answer application accepted or denied. You might have to find a script to do a poll like that because normal polls dont let you go back and add....But it would be nice to what stats are given exeptions.......and possibly even an option for the time it took (like a drop drop- down menu)

my understanding is that the FAA has control over any aircraft. and they have determined that uas/uav are aircraft. they dont delineate betweek public and private airspace. there is no private airspace. they own all airspace it seems. you can fly over anyones home. but if you have a camera on board you are opening up yourself to a whole world of complications. its gonna get even messier than it is now.

All airspace is administered by the state there is no such thing as private airspace. The 333 process is super simple, there are more than 1100 of them in operation. Don't forget you need an N for the airframe as well.

thanks for confirming my understanding. i should have my exemption by end of november. bring on the uav license please!!! haha.

Reply to Discussion


© 2020   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service