PID Tuning on your ArduCopter

I have just finish building my Quad. There are lots of information on setting up the quad and configuring it with Configurator. Thank you for all these details. My quad is working, (haven't tested GPS or Magnetometer yet) motors arm correctly and I can get it in the air with Acrobatic mode. Yet there is lost of tuning to be done.

Does anybody have some details in tuning all these different PID values (Acrobatic, Stable, Position Hold, Altitude Hold). Where do I start? I believe my quad only needs lots of tunning in order to function well.

Please help.

Thanx again for this Project. Can not wait to get my hands on the developed frame.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi John,

Just out of interest can you share your PID gains in stable.

Tony

• So, I've got the Stable mode to where it works well enough for me.

The position hold is proving to be a little more difficult.  The first couple of passes are damn close, but then it starts magnifying its corrections, and get's way out of whack.

What's the best way to go about doing PID on the position hold?  I turned everything to 0 except P, and I'm not getting what I'm looking for.

JC

Read this and change a regional setting:
    http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/configurator-save-calibration...
  • the dot is not responding that's the problem.
  • i have a problem with the pid setup.
    wen i give a 1 its OK wen i set 1,2 i get an error. can someone tel me wat`s wrong.

configurator 1.2.2
    ardupirates 1.5
  • I'm not a programmer or an engineer but I have installed a bit of process control equipment with PID functions and it's a common practice to have the controller exercise the system dynamics and set the PID values for you (although the process's were a lot slower). And I've seen descriptions of 'if your quad does this then change this' type information which seems like something that could be supported in a calibration routine. There are some brilliant people working on this project, could someone give me a simple reason why it's not practical?
  • There are some tips in Aeroquad website about PID calibration.

http://aeroquad.com/content.php?125

Because both projects are very similar, try using the tutorial they provide and see if that works fine for you.

Regards,
    Leonardo
  • OK the frame weight is 875g and from center of motor two center is 24inch hope this will help thank you Tom
  • Tom, I did fly with default PIDs. If you can write details of your quad (weight, distance between motors, motors etc.) we may help you.
  • I also have difficulties tuning the PID values. Maybe more experienced members would like to share knowledge and experiences here.

My observations are (for pitch PID tuning - stable mode):

- Quad position always ends in nose down position if P < 1.5 and/or D < 1.2 (I = 0.1)
    - Quad oscillates (perfect sinusoidal wave) if P = 1.5 and D = 1.2 (I = 0.1)
    - If I < 0.1 quad can not level itself (stops leveling at some angle)

And my setup for PID tuning (currently for pitch):

3692094592?profile=original

3692094762?profile=original

This reply was deleted.

Activity