Hi All!

This is my first post to this forum, so apologies in advance if I submit this incorrectly.

I'm building my first quad and made the mistake of trying to use EMAX 12A simonk ESCs with my newly received Pixhawk. After reading several forum posts, it seems pretty clear that I should simply replace the ESCs with a different vendor, but I couldn't find many recommendations for replacements. Here's my setup:

- Pixhawk controller

- 1300mAh 3S Lipo (11.1V)

- EMAX MT2204 AC brushless (2300kV)

I'm looking to spend >$50 for 4 of them, but would pay more if it's worth it. After my experience with the EMAX ESCs, I'd really like to buy new ones that have been tried an true in other setups. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for addressing this topic. I was looking for the information regarding the same. Keep sharing the info, kudos.
    https://www.myloweslife.vip/
  • Hi Dan. EMAX ESCs work just fine with Pixhawk flight controllers. It used to be that most people beginning with Pixhawk flight controllers did so with significant background with RC systems. Not so much anymore, so you may need some additional understanding as to what causes your ESCs to ARM. If you do not have one, purchase a SERVO Tester, the simple type that displays the PWM level. Connect your ESC to the SERVO Tester and begin lowering the PWM until you hear the ESC ARM. Your Flight Controller needs to send a PWM signal at or below that value to ARM your ESC. This can be set in the parameter file. Alternatively, you can change the PWM for ARM on your ESC.
  • I have a Pixhawk 2.4.7 & EMAX RS2205 2300kv motors. I was thinking of buying the Emax BLHeli Series 30A ESC(https://emaxmodel.com/catalog/product/view/id/101/s/blheli-series-3...).
    Has the issue Pixhawk faces with EMAX ESCs been resolved?

Cheers.

Grateful for any help.
    Regards.
    BLHeli Series 30A ESC (ONESHOT available)
    BLHeli Series 30A ESC
    • Hi,

i've heard it's a common problem. i don't know enough about drones, have you made any progress?
      My friends had a similar problem.
  • I thought the issue was with the Emax 4 in 1. Their 12A Simonk are pretty generic.

• A lot of the forum conversation has been pointed specifically at the EMAX 4 in 1, but a couple things lead me to believe that I am seeing the same behavior with my plain old single 12A simonks...

I read a couple theories on what is going on, but it sounds like the EMAX ESCs struggle to register the Pixhawk's 3v3 PWM signal, especially in the event of voltage drops where the signal can drop below 3v. I have not explicitly tested for this on my vehicle, but have noticed a few behaviors that lead me to think this is the case for me:

- The ESCs *have* initialized before with my Pixhawk, but I'd say they initialize successfully about 3% of the time at best. This leads me to believe that the signal voltage is high enough to initialize the ESCs every once an a while, but usually isn't.

- The ESCs have worked flawlessly with a CC3D controller I was using before, which I believe pushes a full 5v PWM signal.

- The ESCs calibrate without issues when I plug the BEC input straight into my RC radio.

I would LOVE to find out I'm wrong about this and can make some modification that will get things working, but have had no luck with that so far. I haven't looked into reflashing my ESC firmware, nor do I know specifically what bits are on my ESCs right now. Maybe I'll dig into that next, I'll post if I find anything.

This reply was deleted.

Activity