Pixhack error: Check BRD_TYPE: no lsm303d found

Hey all, well its been a frustrating time here with the newly purchased pixhack. I purchase a genuine CUAV unit and was told I could run APM/PX4 stack with out any issues, but I simply cannot do it.

I have done pritty much everything I could think off to run it in mission planner with updating to latest firmware first, then older firmware, still same issue.

The problem I have is below;

1. boot up via usb GPS plugged in, safety switch plugged in, external LED plugged in.

2. Pixhack begins for a few seconds then, little LED flashing red/blue along with white light solid...

3. this is where it stops... nothing more.

NOW, while I CAN update the firmware to the latest firmware (heli) in this instance, it never initializes from what I can tell. I have looked at the logs and it states a repeating error: Initialising APM, then Error: check BRD_TYPE: no lsm303d found???????????

As far as I am aware, the lsm303d my pixhack HAS a lsm303d acc/mag????

have I bricked this thing?????

As mentioned NOTHING that I do solves this issue. I have reset the unit via holding down safety switch, reseting via little side buttons and power on. I have googled the hell out of it and nothing is working...

so....before I pack it away and buy something else...can anything be done here you think?3691328294?profile=originalANY assistance would be great!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am following this tread as I have the same issue with 3 Pixhawk Minis I purchased from 3DR.com.  In short, can the Pix Mini be used with Mission Planner as a stable autopilot?  If so, which version release? 

We are getting up against a deadline and need to find a stable platform.  In November the release of the Pixhawk Mini (3DR) kept being pushed back, now we are scrambling to get these in the air.

Thanks for letting me jump in here.

Andrew Tridgell said:

Hi Chad,

ok, sounds like you are using the latest stable release, not "master". I should have explained better.

The "master" release refers to the latest alpha development code. To get the option to load that you you need to type control-Q while on the "install firmware" page. You will see the version numbers offered change to 3.5-dev.

Basically what is happening is this:

• the 3.3 release checks for sensors in early bootup and gives the red LED if a sensor is missing
    • the 3.4 release checks for sensors after the link to MissionPlanner starts, and gives the BRD_TYPE error if it can't find a sensor
    • the 3.5 release skips the sensor check if you have already set BRD_TYPE. This is what you will need

note that 3.5 is unstable firmware, I'm suggesting it to give you a preview of what is coming, as it happens to solve your issue (or not so much solve, as allow you to fly with a bad IMU).

Cheers, Tridge

• Tridge, your bang on the money!! did what you said and it worked. Now I guess the questions is, is this release of the firmware due out this year? or no plans for release yet?

Cheers!

Andrew Tridgell said:

Hi Chad,

ok, sounds like you are using the latest stable release, not "master". I should have explained better.

The "master" release refers to the latest alpha development code. To get the option to load that you you need to type control-Q while on the "install firmware" page. You will see the version numbers offered change to 3.5-dev.

• the 3.3 release checks for sensors in early bootup and gives the red LED if a sensor is missing
    • the 3.4 release checks for sensors after the link to MissionPlanner starts, and gives the BRD_TYPE error if it can't find a sensor
    • the 3.5 release skips the sensor check if you have already set BRD_TYPE. This is what you will need

note that 3.5 is unstable firmware, I'm suggesting it to give you a preview of what is coming, as it happens to solve your issue (or not so much solve, as allow you to fly with a bad IMU).

Cheers, Tridge

• Many thanks Tridge,

this makes sense now, I will give it a go an let you know how things go!.

Cheers bud

Andrew Tridgell said:

Hi Chad,

Cheers, Tridge

• Developer

Hi Chad,

Cheers, Tridge

• Hey Tridge,

appologies if I have been a little confusing here, but I was meaning I am still getting the same error. This is my first attempt at arducopter type boards (came from naza) so the learning curve is steep for me.

As mentioned I have simply plugged my pixhack flight controller in (with GPS and safety switch AND microSD card in) into the usb port and waited for the usb to connect as it does in Windows. Then hit the connect button. Now I go to firmware and it downloads the latest firmware for heli. I simply click on the heli picture and it confirms I want to use this latest firmware. the erase begins, the programing starts and finishes successfully. I then proceed to the Advance params and change the board type as suggested and write params. I then remove usb and plug back in...same problem...check brd_type: no lsm303d found, could this be a pixhack thing?

As for when you say "Master" what are you refering too? am I not loading the right firmware? am I meant to be using Mission Planner for this? or some other software?

Cheers

Andrew Tridgell said:

Hi Chad,

Now, I have gone into the Advance Params and found brd_type. I changed that from 0 to 2. aka pixhawk board type as it states in the window. I then WRITE params and then disconnect and reconnect the board...same thing happens no change still same error.

If you really are running master then getting the "Check BRD_TYPE: no lsm303d" error makes no sense, as that error doesn't exist in master.

If by "same error" you mean some different error message then please let me know what that exact error message is.

Cheers, Tridge

• Developer

Hi Chad,

Now, I have gone into the Advance Params and found brd_type. I changed that from 0 to 2. aka pixhawk board type as it states in the window. I then WRITE params and then disconnect and reconnect the board...same thing happens no change still same error.

If you really are running master then getting the "Check BRD_TYPE: no lsm303d" error makes no sense, as that error doesn't exist in master.

If by "same error" you mean some different error message then please let me know what that exact error message is.

Cheers, Tridge

• Hi Andrew,

I am trying to use the latest firmware release (heli) from the firmware flashing page. I connect and it does it thing, uploads the new firmware and finishes. I then re-connect and thats where it stops with the error.

One of the other frustrating things is that if I want to use previous firmware like 3.3.3 for example, It uploads fine, BUT will not connect to mission planner AT ALL the board just gives me a solid red light...it times out and will not connect. ONLY the latest release of the firmware will connect with solid white/purple light on the board

I find this strange but then again I dont know all the ins and outs of these boards to well..

if I am doing this incorrectly, please let me know as this is so frustrating as you would expect.

thanks again!

Andrew Tridgell said:

@Chad,

I tried the change the brd type as well as mentioned but nothing works

Is that with the latest master firmware, or the stable release?

With master if you set BRD_TYPE=2 to force pixhawk then it will skip the board type detection and just try to start drivers. If the lsm303d driver fails to start it will accept that and just run with one IMU.

So when you say "nothing works" can you explain what that means?

I suspect you are either not running master or you have not successfully set BRD_TYPE=2.

Cheers, Tridge

• Developer

@Chad,

I tried the change the brd type as well as mentioned but nothing works

Is that with the latest master firmware, or the stable release?

With master if you set BRD_TYPE=2 to force pixhawk then it will skip the board type detection and just try to start drivers. If the lsm303d driver fails to start it will accept that and just run with one IMU.

So when you say "nothing works" can you explain what that means?

I suspect you are either not running master or you have not successfully set BRD_TYPE=2.

Cheers, Tridge

• Developer

@Pranav, the PixhawkMini works fine if you set BRD_TYPE to 5. If you use the latest master firmware then it will be auto-detected and you don't need to set BRD_TYPE.

• I'm having this same problem, looks like I can only use the PX4 Firmware for the Pixhawk Mini :( 

This reply was deleted.

Activity