Pixhawk Mini Telemetry with FLIR

Hi,

I am currently working on a hexacopter powered with the Pixhawk Mini FCS. It is currently using the 915MHz telemetry radio to communicate with my ground station. I am mounting a thermal camera (FLIR Vue Pro R) which has a port to accept Mavlink for tagging geospatial data in the thermal images. Unfortunately the Mini only has a single telemetry port. Is there any way I can run telemetry to/from the radio AND to the FLIR at the same time?

I understand that telemetry is a serial connection so this may not be easy to do. I have a limited understanding of comm protocols, but is there any way to "split" the telemetry to send GPS data to the FLIR and the radio? If not, could I get data to the FLIR using I2C (converted to serial through some other device)?

I was even wondering if I could just stick the telemetry radio on the Mini's micro-USB port to act as a "wireless USB" connection to the ground station. Is this even a realistic option or am I just getting desperate?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I'd be glad to provide additional info if needed.

Thanks.

Jamie

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I actually haven't seen that board but I may look into it. I probably will be sticking with the Mini for this project though. Have you flown with an X2.1?

Luc Maximilien said:

Buy a Mrobotics  X2.1 autopilot , it has 3 telemetry ports and IMO is more reliable than the Pixhawk Mini.

Hi, I am currently working on a hexacopter powered with the Pixhawk Mini FCS. It is currently using the 915MHz telemetry radio to communicate with m…
  • I may try this, I just wasn't sure if it had to have the RX signal too. The FLIR documentation says it uses RX for Heartbeat but I don't know if that is mandatory.

Andre K. said:

If the Flir only needs to read the stream, you can just split the TX signal from the pixhawk to the radio..

Hi, I am currently working on a hexacopter powered with the Pixhawk Mini FCS. It is currently using the 915MHz telemetry radio to communicate with m…
  • Buy a Mrobotics  X2.1 autopilot , it has 3 telemetry ports and IMO is more reliable than the Pixhawk Mini.

• If the Flir only needs to read the stream, you can just split the TX signal from the pixhawk to the radio..

This reply was deleted.

Activity