This is a discussion to focus the feedback and support of ardupilot on the PixRacer board from AUAV.co.
We believe that all teething problems encountered are now resolved and so we recommend people load Copter-3.3.4 which is available for all multicopters through the Mission Planner's (and other GCS's) Install Firmware screens. Note that because regular Pixhawks are still on Copter-3.3.3 the install icon may show Copter-3.3.3 but rest assured, Copter-3.3.4 will be installed (you can check the version by looking at the very top of the Mission Planner).
Loaded alpha, config'd, rebooted. Settings saved.
Rebooted again, settings still there.
rebooted again, compass not calibrated. And, about 1/2 my settings are gone..
Are others using APM having these issues? Or am I the only one trying?
I don't mind waiting more if that's the answer. But if others are using it and it's working, maybe I need to start thinking about hardware problems.
The only way to rule out hardware would be to flash PX4 and see the results. The chances both software applications will be faulty at the same time is low.
Ok, did that. px4 works fine. Did 5 reboots, just to be sure. Always fine.
Alright. Sorry for my 'freaking out' about APM. I thought it would just work this time :). Anyway, still some communication/saving issues.
no gyro health issues this time, though.
I'm happy to do any testing.. Otherwise, I'll wait for the next release.
I don't suppose the params not being saved are those SRO params right? I realized when having an issue with my telemetry that those don't necessarily stay what you set them. Everything else does though.
it's not just the sr0 params. I know the issue there..
I'm manually running through the initial calibration of compass/accls/RC, and then I compare/upload some params from a saved set of parameters for my tuning and a few other things.
And, it's randomly losing my compass calibration, or gyro calibration, or my tuning parameters. Or just some of them, like last time all my yaw settings got reset, but other tuning was still saved.
It changes every time I reboot the pixracer.
Are you saying you are successfully using APM with the PixRacer?
If so, any chance you could try saving your config, then put plane on it to reset everything, then put copter back on it, and see if you can load your saved config to the copter?
That's the test. It fails every time for me, after rebooting a couple times.
Alright, last bit of info..
It seems I can write single parameter changes, possibly a few changes at a time, and it works.
If I try to change a bunch of them, it doesn't save properly. When it fails to save, the results are strange.. It's usually not just the settings I was working on that fail to save, but other settings get corrupted or lost. I changed some settings for my battery current and high/low voltage, and a couple motor params (mot_spin_armed, etc) and saved, and it appeared to work. But then the HUD in MP was spinning, and after rebooting it had lost a bunch of settings.
Those aren't the only settings that cause the issue.. I was just using them as an example. What seems to be repeatable is single changes always work, and maybe 10+ fails.. Definitely trying to upload an entire set of PID and tuning parameters fails every time..
Sorry for cluttering up the thread w/ all my trouble shooting throughout the day. Feel free to delete all my posts after a developer or someone sees them.
I've got a working copter at this point, by doing one setting at a time! I'm afraid to reboot it again tonight though.. Might as well end on a high note.
re-Are you saying you are successfully using APM with the PixRacer?
Nope haven't received mine yet. Thank's for helping get everything cleared up before I do. :]
Scott, sorry for the troubles and thanks for your persistence.
I've noticed that my compass calibrations seem to be getting lost occasionally so I think the parameter horror you're seeing may be the same thing. Ill try and reproduce what you're seeing so we can get to the bottom of it.
I guess you're also saying that you're not seeing the issue when you use Copter-3.4-dev. If that's the case then it narrows down the problem quite a bit.
I'm afraid I don't know at this point..
3.4(dev) initially seemed better, but then it lost its settings too. Then I went back to 3.3.4(beta), and did eventually get it working, one parameter write at a time.
So best to just say I don't know so I don't point you in the wrong direction.
I ordered one for my Sub250 gram Micro, I will post when its complete and feed back on how it works on a very small copter
Speaking of light weight copters, I'd suggest they ship the PixRacer w/out the servo headers soldered in place. It's much easier to solder than to de-solder.