Hello,
I am planning on working on an autonomous quadrocopter, to develop neural network based software on. Can I get feed back on the setup?
---------------------------------------------QUADROCOPTER------------------------------------------------------------------
1x http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=68                                                        ($3.49)

TOTAL: $173.9
-------------------------------------------------------ELECTRONICS---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9623                        ($124.95)
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8772 (?)                        ($13.95)
TOTAL: $ 504.56
TOTAL(alternates): $493.64
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*alternate
**preferred alternate

What do you think of the alternates? For the wireless, its mainly data transfer, but will hopefully be able to switch into direct control for emergencies.

Proppellers will be close together, 2" spacing from the prop diameter.
Please tell me if their is anything I am missing!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• please look FIRST on popular quad-sites like mikrokopter.
    they also list proven components.

buy this mechanical parts! you will run in enough selfmade electronic problems and hopefully solve it.
    good luck!
  • Hey,
    Now Im having doubts if I want to do a quadrocopter or a normal helicopter (size 500). What are pros and cons of each? I know heli's are more difficult for programming.
  • The propeller says it can take a 5mm shaft, but the motor shaft is 3mm. Will this be a problem?
  • What are you planning to use for a frame?

- Roy
  • Thank you for the suggestions. In fact, my original goal was to develop a ground vehicle, similar to CMU's crusher: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VyTCyizqrHs/R89Ca-OAdQI/AAAAAAAAAOA/AGB2c...

I decided to switch to Arial due to easier testing, and more of a challenge.
    Petr: I am mainly doing number 3, but the overall goal is to build a cost effective solution for various applications. I am doing this for the seimens competition and the ISEF competition.
    As you probably noticed, I am using premade IMU modules. My goal is a modular, useful, design. I am not using a premade one for a couple of main reasons:
    1) Processing power. My brother is working on 3D reconstruction with stereopsis, that will go on here.
    2)Space to mount things. I have a compact frame designed and cut out a prototype from wood on my school's laser, I will try to get a picture up today.
    3)I like doing things my self :)

Is their any problem with bringing the props in? The 10" prop diameters come within two inches of adjacent props, I didn't extend it out like most people.
  • I would recomend you to concentrate on what is your main goal.
    1) To build a new quadrocopter, or
    2) to develop all the electronics for the quadrocopter including IMU, or
    3) to develop the neural network based software?
    These are quiet different goals and you have to decide where do you start.

I recomend to buy one ready to fly quadrocopter, lot of spare parts and replace the electronics inside with some existing programable one.

When I started with a car, I have bought one RC Monster Track and have put one arduino between the receiver and both motor and servo ... :-)

And...it would be easier to develop the neural SW on something easier like bicycle or self balancing robot. These are just my opinions and I know you may disagree.
  • It will be more than enough to lift it, there are many configs like that flying all over Germany. Find an online thrust calculator and plug your numbers in it.

I can provide you with a guesstimate for its hover time on that battery - assuming AUW of 1.5 kg and system efficiency between 20% and 35%, you should get hover currents between 18 and 32 A, and (with a 4000 mAh lipo) a hover time between 7 and 13 minutes. If you bring the weight below 1 kg, you'll be flying for more than 20 minutes.
  • Yes, I only included this for the actual flight.
    One of my main concerns is if the motor/prop combo will be able to lift all that stuff (except programmers). Whats a estimated thrust for that setup?
  • I'd recommend you to order more props than just one set. Like an order of magnitude more. Trust me, you're gonna be breaking them on a daily basis, especially in the early days of (your) flight.
This reply was deleted.

Activity