I am currently messing around with MTK GPS stuff and the binary protocol.
Assuming my APM2.0 GPS has the 1.6 loaded, i want to upgrade the GPS FW. Since the gps is directly mounted to the mainboard i don't know how to do it.
The APM wiki http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot/wiki/MediaTek gives no hints.
EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND:
I included a zip file with all the needed files and a complete guide below.
It contains basically the same files than the previous version but an extended guide and the source code.
Added German guide.
FTDI Hardwareflash on APM 2.0 (Set your FTDI to 5V, if you have one of these Breakoutboards)
1. Download the zip below to have all the files needed - and a flashguide.
2. Load MP and save all your parameters to a file (if desired).
3. Do Arduino / eeprom clear on your main CPU so that no serial traffic can disturb the process. Do not omit this step. It won't work with the arduino still talking on the serial line - i tested it. P.s. You can also use the precompiled hex from my post here: https://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1094234
4. Unpower APM for soldering. If FTDI connection is already established, powercycle to reset GPS to its' default state.
5. Locate the external GPS port (UART1). If you have not the right plug (like me) you have some solder pads right behind it. You will need GND/RX/TX. Look at this picture for the right connection: http://diydrones.com/forum/attachment/download?id=705844%3AUploaded...
Note: I labeled RX and TX relative to the GPS not the CPU (like printed on the PCB). I showed 3 points where you can get access to the important datalines, besides the obvious connectionport (that would be number 4:)).
6. Power APM Board, fire up the flashing soft and follow the documentation -> Point 8 in MTKFlashGuide2.pdf or point 7 in MTKFlashGuide2German.pdf. Reading the complete pdf is also ok.
7. Reload Arducopter FW on mainboard and reload your saved settings (if desired). Perhaps recheck calibrations (ACC etc.)
UPDATE 21/01/2013 - 02/03/2013
Here is a Must Try List - if you have a persisting flash problem (Thanks Anton for the idea)
- https://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1094071 (Thanks Anton)
- https://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1094290 (Thanks William Stoner)
- http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1097033 (Thanks Isaac)
- http://www.diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1097725 (Thanks Chris Webb // Mac running VMWare WinXP)
- https://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1140259 (Thanks "exaustgas" // Win serial port)
- http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1146635 (Thanks Cody // serial port in flashutil config)
- Try to rule out a driver/win firewall/administrator/viruskiller thing
Due to the outstanding work of Perecastor here: https://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1149155
We have a French guide now as well !!
I took the liberty to put it here as well.
Hardware - "Hack":
Use your PC - RC Transmitter Adaptercable as FTDI:
http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1252901 (Thanks Jan Boermans)
Quite a slap in the face for my APM to have been relegated to a simple power source, but such is life when atmega32u2's give up on you!
Well, thank you very much for sharing your info......
I succesfully did it using isaac's method kept pressing download several times before it took. Cheers for taking the time to document everyone. Thanks Alex
Sou novo no Forum.
Tenho um GPS Skylab SKM53 com chip MT3339 como indicado no forum.
atualizai para uma versão, e a gostaria de atualizar novamente, mas agora ao abrir a ferramenta flash tools o mesmo da uma falha:
Take(5) secs to test.
Aguem pode me ajudar??
Sorry, google translate didn't do it :( . I am guessing what you want to say.
First of all: If you have an MTK 3339 you destroy it with a Firmware for MTK 3329.
Since your GPS is exernal and not hard-wired onto your flightcontrol you can use any FTDI adapter you like to flash it.
I have two GPS GPS Skylab SKM35, with chip MT3339
one I update and stopped working.
Has as recovering the GPS?
The other has the next firmware AXN_2.31_3339_131119000412 ------->1Hz 9800 baudrate
I need 10Hz in and baudrate 115200.
what in last firmware MT3339?