Possible to add center prop to existing motor layouts?

I'm interested in the possibility of adding a large center mounted prop for my main thrust like a traditional heli, but being able to steer with the extra props of a regular quad which naturally would be much smaller.

So two questions. 1. Is this possible with apm 3.x? 2. If it isn't possible, is there any flight controller that could accommodate this?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Why? I don't see any advantage to it. Unless you are trying to set a time to altitude record. I dont mean cut off your idea,

but I see several DIS-advantages. It may be a safety problem. The big prop, even on a smaller aircraft it would be 9 to

10 inches from hub to the end of prop. The next issue is a problem and maybe and advantage, starting the prop as heavy as it would need to be would take more power (current) to get it started. BUT it would still have some energy in if you lose power.

Another issue is you would maybe need a separate nav system for just guide the prop unless the gimbal outputs are used and I have no idea if that would work. 

But I applaud your effort. Finding all the problems is easy for the armchair QB. Find how it WOULD work is for the engineer in you

This reply was deleted.

Activity