Programming an ESC

I asked this question in an assigned category but I received no answer. Maybe someone can give me a little assistance. I bought 4 Hobbypower 30A ESC and I also have a book called "build your own quadcopter" which follows the Elev-8 Quadcopter. I am not building an Elev-8, but my own. In the book, it says that the ESC need to be programmed with an ESC programming card. Now, my ESC are not the same for the Elev-8.

My question is... Do these ESC need to be programmed or not? Is the book suggesting something particularly for the Elev-8 kit??? I am ready to put my quad together but I do not want to ruin anything.

Thanks for your time.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Alot of the esc and programming cards are the same. They are just rebranded. It should work. In the first video i gave the link for it shows the guy using a second bec to supply power. Dont do that. The esc has a bec in it. Watch this video. I set my timings to high for my quad.

http://youtu.be/gF3WDjD1WHY
  • Thanks Dave. One last question if you please. I bought this...

Hobbywing Pentium Series Brushless Speed Controller ESC Program Card

from amazon alredy. Do you know if the hobbypower esc would work with this card? I would order your card from turnigy but hobby king is so expensive. I get this card for so much less. Any ideas?

• Yes you need to set the esc to nicd battery and i usually set the timing to high. If you leave them set to lipo they will shut the motor off when the battery gets low and that is bad when you are up in the air. Mine are hobbypower esc from ebay and I bought a turnigy esc programming card from Hobby King. They only time you dont need to do this is if you are using esc with simonk firmware on them.
    • Dave thank you for replying. So is the esc set to nicd through the card? And how do I know if I am using Simonk firmware? I have a flight board that is a kkmulticopter v5.5. Is that Simonk? Thank you for the help.
      • When you buy the esc they usually say on the ad simonk firmware on the esc. You use the programming card to set them to nicd or you can program them with your tx and rx using the beeps from the motors.

Watch the video
        http://youtu.be/4Kg7MzGwvdw

You can find youtube videos showing you how to use your radio.
This reply was deleted.

Activity