Quadcopter - First flight - Assistance for take-off please!

Hi....I have excitedly just bought my first quadcopter. I've followed the instructions to assemble it and believe it is all good to go. Unfortunately, when I try and fly it, I can't seem to get it to lift off the ground. I can apply maximum throttle and it still doesn't lift off. It has a gimble attached, but no camera, so in theory it should be able able to carry a significantly heavier weight than it currently does. I've double-checked the rotors and they are attached correctly, everything seems to be as expected, except that it doesn't lift off. I can't help but think there is something very simple that I have over-looked. Any ideas or help appreciated?

Thanks,

Anton

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello. I had the same issue but i fixed it. Now when i try to hover my drone it is toppling It is not getting off the ground steadily. why?

• Don't hiijack a three year old thread. Start a new one.

The biggest mistake that noobies make is to take off gently.  Don't do that.  Take off briskly, full throttle. With practice you can launch to a hover at ten feet easily.  

Multirotor aircraft tend to be unstable because the motors, esc's and props are all slightly different. This means that at low or medium power, like a gentle takeoff, one of the props will be developing less thrust than another.  Perfect setup for a tip-over.

• Yes. I was trying to take off very slowly. I was scared that I might crash the drone. This is my first time. Also, I'm working indoors. Anyway, I'll take the drone to a bigger space and try to take off briskly. Thanks a lot. 

Cool, glad you got it sorted, it does make sense though to triple check everything.

I did some tests a while back using 3S and 4S batteries (http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/amps-volts-watts-comparison-on-...) BUT I used the same size props for both tests.

My quad at that stage was 1.3kg and required about 200W to hover, so 153W/kg and there was about 17W difference in the requirement between the 3S and 4S packs at the same weight.

I think that with the 3S battery and the smaller props there just is not enough power being produced. Normally with electrics if you want more power you increase the amps (increase prop size) and/or increase the volts (3S > 4S).

The only way to really know is to measure the amps and/or the watts.

• pictures usually help.

What battery, motors, size props, type quadcopter, etc, etc?? We need more info to be able to help

This reply was deleted.

Activity