Question about antenna tracker

Hello, I am designing an extremely high gain system, it will be using a parabolic antenna. 

The question I wanted to ask is what is the narrowest beam width that the antenna tracker can support? Lets say the sUAS is about 1 km out before it needs to use the dish.

This way I will be able to choose the correct sized dish, I fear too narrow of a beam and the tracker could easily miss!

In short how accurate is the antenna tracker in degrees? 

Don't worry about refresh rate, because the extreme gain could be used after 4 kilometers as well, via diversity. 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Are you sure you need a dish? There are guys flying 50 Km by only using an inexpensive high rain antenna. How far are you planning on flying?

Dragon Link is a good example, you should review that thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1518533

1. It used GPS location at both ends to compute the required angle. So it would depends on GPS accuracy. The new series 8 Ublox GPS modules seam to be better than the older series.
    2. The accuracy of the magnetometer would also make a difference. If using an external magnetometer like most due the mounting angle on the tracker needs to be exact. You also need a good compass calibration. If you have any magnets or ferrous material nearby that will effect the accuracy. You also need a good magnetic declination.
    3. The servos and gearing will also effect accuracy. The wider the servo travel range the less accurate it will be.

You need to keep all this in mind when designing your tracker.

From my personal experience using a Pixhawk and Servo City mechanism is that it always looks like it is right on. So it’s easy to get a fairly accurate setup.

What is your beam width?

This reply was deleted.

Activity