QUICK HELP: APM Pitch angle problem

Hi,

In APM (ArduPlane/ ArduCopter) with/ without Mission Planner, we can observe that when the board is titled down, pitch angle changes from 0 (horizontal position), to 90 (vertically pointing downward), and tilting it further brings/decreases it back to 0 in the reverse position. 

See figure, you will understand my point. How do I distinguish any two same angle readings (which basically look alike but the board has different orientation). I am sure, other have faced this too. I need to do some processing with these angles, and important for me to know which angle (85 deg) orientation the board is really in, the processing get confused due to not handling this scenario.

Looking for a quick solution to tackle this. Thank you!

Pitch_Problem.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• T3

Hi Shyam,

In case anyone on this thread is still interested, you and I figured out that you were running into a gimbal lock problem with Euler angles. There were a couple of possible solutions, including using direction cosines instead of Euler angles. However, you and I came up with a simple solution that allowed you to use Euler angles, which you posted here.

Best regards,

Bill Premerlani

• Developer

the yaw is the answer

This reply was deleted.

Activity