Has anyone everythought about building a uav with a rocket booster at launch then uses like a propeller, or a duct fan for flight after the boost phase??

Would this not be the coolest uav or what??

Im thinking of how the military has to assemble and hand throw their small uavs, but what it u could have a small rocket boosted uav that could be transported in the launch tube to provent damage, and quickly deploy the needed uav..

Just a concept

Views: 2049

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. There is a whole stealth thing often involved during the use of small military UAVs. The rocket part of this, as cool as it seems probabally would not be well recieved.
2. Missile –noun
an aerial missile, as a rocket, steered during its flight by radio signals, clockwork controls, etc.

Governments tolerate DIY rocketry, and flat out refuse DIY missiles

3. To answer your question, YES would be tons of fun!
dang it, thought i had a jump lol he covered preety much everything
The gov needs to lighten up, and let every man women anbd child have their own diy autonomous missle uav! haha
What if we just use 2, Estes E-10P motors to speed up for fast ground coverage?? One for out then the other for return?? Maybe 5 seconds @ 200 mph ?? with a 1 kg UAV There are several gliders launched with this type of motor some are much larger???
Governments make the distinction between rocketry and missles by restricting the attitude they launch and fly at.

Vertical is OK, but horizontal is verbotten.
I also believe that active guidance on a rocket is forbidden. No?
This concept was also exploited in an episode of Prototype This! on the Discovery Channel. The purpose was to deliver an inflatable rescue device to a drowning person at sea near an unguarded beach. It was deployed when the person in distress was outside the range of a shore-based cannon that delivered a life vest balistically. Both designs performed well, although we did get to see a nice 6-footer burst to bits when it hit the ground once its UAV controller took over.
Yes it is. Any type of guidance is off limits.
haha i saw the dirty jobs where they were testing a new shark repellent with a shoulder lanuched rocket, powered be co2 but they only flew about 200yards
I believe Estes Rockets used to sell a RC model glider/airplane that was launched with a C or D size engine to about 200 or 300 feet and you could control it from there.. I can't find the link for it though..

That would be a simple platform to modify into an autonomous UAV using ArduPilot if you could find one.
I dont think it would be very difficult to build you own, as Varga Andras points out with his link.

-Mike W
The problem with one time use rockets is high cost for each launch, but a lot more fun !!
AeroTech out of Cedar City, Utah had a rocket glider with a long burn F engine, it was re-loadable, but I don't know if it is still made. it was big enough for ArduPilot

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service