Hi everyone,

I'm creating this thread to share your drone/copter information. I believe, this would help immensely for newbies like me during the initial build. For example, the Chris's blog on cheap Hobby King quad configuration is really a good resource.  

I don't want to burden anyone who is willing to share their info. Hence all fields are optional. Atleast the first 5 fields are ideal. Please find the list of fields to copy/paste at the end, so you can start filling :-). 

Here goes information about my quad.

frame: Quadcopter (3DRobotics)
controller/autopilot: APM1
esc: 20A (3DRobotics)
motors: 850Kv (3DRobotics)
propellers: 10x47, APC (3DRobotics)
motor to motor distance: -- inches

battery:  4S 3300mAh (Turnigy nano-tech)
total weight: -- lbs
flying time: 15 minutes (average)

radio: Turnigy 9X 
video/osd: none
other: Sonar, Xbee, GPS/Mag, Attopilot current sensor

Misc: 

Turnigy 9X: Mode1 -> Mode2 change, Li-ion battery hack
photos:

-------------

frame:
controller/autopilot:
esc:
motors:
propellers:
motor to motor distance: -- inches

battery:
total weight: -- lbs
flying time:

radio:
video/osd:
other:

Misc (hacks/mods):

photos:

Views: 133990

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you very much,

It can mount 15 or maybe 16 inch propellers, but I don't have any to try.

At the first indoor test, it can hover using 12x45 slowfly propellers at 60% throttle and drawing a current of ~50 Amps (with canon 7D and a 15-85 lens). Maybe 5 or 6 minutes with a normal use. But I need do outdoor test with the new 13x45 or bigger.

What propellers will you use?

Thanks. 

I wouldn't trust slowfly props, those motors have a lot of power.. I would try the biggest diameter you can fit for those motors, on 2 blades or 3 blades. 60% thrust is a signal that RPM are a bit too high.

I'm relatively new to quadrotors, but here's mine:

Frame: Turnigy Talon V2 carbon/aluminum frame (I wrecked my original jdrones frame one too many times. :P) The frame is from HobbyKing

Controller/autopilot: APM1 2560 (3DRobotics)

Motors: AC2836-358 880kv (jdrones)

ESCs: jdrones 30A (power distribution board is from jdrones as well)

Propellers: Currently running Turnigy 11x4.7 SFPs (HobbyKing)

Motor span: 22" (I also have the extended booms to bring it to 26" span if needed)

Battery: E-flite 2200mah 3S

Total weight: No idea -- probably 1/2 a pound more than a fully-built jdrones quad rig. The heavier weight does make it a bit more stable in windier conditions

Flying time: ~10 minutes, depending on weather

Radio: TX: Hitec Eclipse Pro 7, RX: Optima 7

Video/OSD: None yet, but I do have the 3DRobotics stabilization mount built & tested for a lightweight camera

Other: MediaTek MT3329 GPS, MB1200 XL sonar, Attopilot current sensor (not installed yet)

No hacks yet, I'm just trying to get used to flying it and figuring out the Hitec radio. Eventually, I'll have to fit longer legs to get the stabilized camera mount under the rig. Long-term plans will probably include FPVing it as well.

Hello fellow DIY Droners from Singapore!!, I have caught the Multi Rotor bug big time and this is the first Hexacopter I have built and also using the APM2 for the first time. Setup was pretty straight forward for me, even though this is the first time I'm building a Hexacopter. I have previously built 2 Tricopters and 2 Quadcopters all running KK series boards. Today I just had my first daytime flights and tested the Altitude Hold and Loiter functions. They worked straight out of the box. No adjustments were made to the firmware, everything is stock. 

Here is the item list and cost breakdown for anyone who's interested. I'm flying it on a Turnigy 9X stock system and just tested my brand new HaiYin 5000mAh 4s 30-40c Lipos which gave approximately 12-15 minutes of flying time. AUW - 2.23kg or 4.9pounds

Cost Breakdown for my  Hexacopter

1. SIX600 Fiberglass & Aluminum 6-axial DIY Frame - High Landing Skid from Himodel.com - $25.04 USD

2. Gemfan 11x4.7 Nylon Carbon mix Prop CW/CWW pair from Himodel - $2.95 x 3 USD

3. NTM Prop Drive Series 2836 750kv with Accessory Pack (ordered separately from HobbyKing)  - $17.10 x 6 USD

4. Modified 30A ESCs flashed with Simon K's custom firmware from Sgdrone.com - $20SGD round off to $15 x 6 USD

5. APM 2.0 Purple Fully Assembled Flight Controller from Sgdrone.com - $260 SGD round off to $200 USD

6. HK600GT landing skid (H60039) and HK600GT landing skid pipe (H60137) (ordered separately from HobbyKing) - $3.13 USD

7. 10CM Male to Male Servo Lead (JR) 26AWG (10pcs/set) - $4 USD

8. 10CM Servo Lead (Futaba) 32AWG Ultra Light (10pcs/set) - $1.99 USD

9. Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 12AWG (1mtr) BLACK - $2.49 per meter

10. Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 12AWG (1mtr) RED - $2.49 per meter

11. PolyMax 3.5mm Gold Connectors 10 PAIRS (20PC) - $1.50 x 2 USD

12. Turnigy 6mm Heat Shrink Tube - BLACK (1mtr) - $0.25 USD per Meter

13. Turnigy 6mm Heat Shrink Tube - RED (1mtr) - $0.25 USD per Meter

14. Nylon XT60 Connectors Male/Female (5 pairs) GENUINE - $ 3.19 USD

(items 7 to 14 ordered from HobbyKing)

Grand total $447.28 USD not inclusive of shipping for overseas items.

items not included are Batteries and Radio Transmitter and Receiver.

Optional items - 3DR telemetry radio $130 SGD (soldering required for pins)

3DR GPS U-Blox LEA-6  $121.99 SGD (solder modification required to disable APM2 GPS)

Other items needed are,

Double sided foam mounting tape, PVC container to protect the APM2 flight controller.  200W soldering iron and flux core soldering lead. Hands free soldering stand, this is a MUST have for soldering wires and connectors . Cutters, pliers, hex and ordinary screwdrivers. Screws and nuts to secure the landing gear, default screws are too small from the frame kit I bought, so I used my own 3mm bolts and lock nuts. Nylon cable ties to tie the wider landing gear to the narrower landing gear of the hexa frame. Velcro straps to hold the battery. Fiber tape for sticking the Power distribution cables to the frame.  Glue gun to insulate the power distribution cable

I built my own Power distribution using 2 loops of 12AWG black and red cables, soldered the ends together and made six cuts along the cable and carefully solder a female Polymax 3.5mm connector onto it.  A separate cable is soldered with a XT60 connector for the battery. ESCs power cables are too short and are extended with the 12AWG cables and soldered with the male Polymax connectors in turn are connected to the self soldered Power distribution cables.

I found this great Magnolia Sherbet icecream plastic container which is big enough to store the u-BLOX GPS and the 3DR Telemetry Radio. Looks great too! All I did was to cut a piece of EPP foam and stuffed it between the GPS and 3DR Radio. At the bottom of the foam I stuck some aluminum tape in the hope that the GPS won't be affected by the 3DR radio. I'll be updating this post with a video.

Followup to my post, here's the video of my Hexa in action.

Frame: DJI 450, quadrocopter
Controller/Autopilot: APM2
Motors: Robbe Roxxy 2827-26 (930KV)
ESCs: Skywalker 20A (currently running at 400Hz)
Propellers: APC SF 10x4.7
Battery:  S3 3300mAh 25C
Hover Time: 15:22 Min in gusty wind, ca. 2650mAh recharged
Radio: Flysky 9x with er9x and Frsky DHT-U // RX: D4FR sumsignal
Video/OSD: minimosd // Video camera & video TX still missing

Weight: 1002gr (missed 1Kg :) )

I reduced PWM frequency from 490Hz to 400Hz because i had sometimes arming issues (i had to press reset on apm to start all motors). I feared a reduced flight performance but there is none!! It flies very stable and handles descents better than my other naza setup. I am very happy with this setup and can't wait to put the rest of my FPV equipment on.

Rate_P 0.15 (or 0.2) ; Stab_P 5,5; Thr_P 0.350, Alt_P0.35 Alt_I 0.1; Rate_loiter P 2.5 ; other values on stock

Loiter/pos values can be tuned, but they are sufficient for me. What i really wanted was RTL - and this works!

The frame is way too heavy, but i got it very cheap, it's stable and looks nice...... even DIY aluframe can be done lighter.

In my opinion the motors are a very good choice for 3S and 10 inch.

So long.

Rob

Wow!  Nice stable flight.

Can you post your PIDs?  I am having a very hard time tuning my quad.

Hi Jae, all the settings are Stock, meaning it flew out of the box without any adjustments at all! I just loaded in the default firmware settings for Hexacopters and thats it. I read from KKboard users that it appears that when you have more motors like the Hexa and Octos, they seem to be more "stable", but it doesn't appear to be the case all the time. You must ensure that all your motors and arms are secured and pointing perpendicular to each other. I had a KK2board Tricopter with a loose motor and it caused a lot of problems for me until I tightened it. One more thing is to ensure that your board is properly mounted. Mine had foam tape and sits on top of hard foam blocks that I constructed from my KKboard foam containers. Those are excellent for absorbing vibrations.Stray vibrations can also disrupt your stability. Make sure your propellers are balanced as well. Some people even balance their motor bells http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnjflLDxQQU

You may also want to google for videos on PID settings. KapteinKuk of the KKboard fame made this excellent video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNzqTGEl2xQ

Hope this helps! Cheers!

My Updated setup for Arducopter and Base station

the ace

APM 2.5

4x910kv 330WATT motors

30A Esc

12x4 props 

frysky 2.4 w telemetry 

Wow, that thing is HUGE! The 7D is quite a big DSLR and it looks like a 550D or something. How much does that thing weigh?

You got it up and flying yet? I'm very eager to see this one in the air :-D

Is the motor weight on hobby king right? 480 gram each? :-O

Hi,

About the weight I'm not sure, but I can say that in a hover, It's draw a current of ~40A without camera and ~50A with the 7D.

I use 6S 6000mah nanotech Lipos and I get 9 min. / 7min. (without / with camera) of flight time at hover.

ASAP I will post some videos but I have to test it with the new 2.8.1 (with 2.7.3 is very stable).

Thanks.

P.D. And yes the motors are from hobbyking Turnigy L5055A (maybe a wrong selection but they are very powerfull)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service