SimonK ESC issues.

I have been trying for the last couple of days to get my ESCS that came preflashed with SimonK firware.

http://montorc.com/ztw-spider-series-30a-opto-multicopter-esc.aspx

I am using a ar8000 spektrum receiver module. I can not for the life of me get the 4th beep when trying to calibrate the throttle on the ESCs with this receiver. Maybe someone out there has a bit more experience with SimonK and spektrum receivers. Any help from the community is appreciated...

Regards,

Dan

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• same issue here!
  • I to are having issues with the DIY 40AMP None BEC SimonK flashed ESC's, On the ground and in the air, randomly one of the 6 motors stops spinning and the one that is not spinning is the one that is beeping, to here the beeping watch my video I took bellow PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSQtrQTH7JE

• Hi Guys

Also experiencing what I believe is a timing issue with motors randomly stalling mid air - see video:

heli crash (0 min 53 sec)

This isn't the first time its happened and its not always the same motor. I've got a good 50 flights in and its happened 4 times, but this is the first time I have clear video of the issue and first major failure - other times the motors have recovered near instant...

Build:
    Tarot FY690S Hexacopter Frame Set
    DJI Naza-M V2 Multirotor Gyro System w/ GPS
    RCtimer HP4108-720KV (24N22P) Multicopter Brushless Motor
    Rctimer SK-40A SimonK Firmware Multicopter Speed Controller ESC 40A
    RCTIMER 2-Axis Brushless Gimbal Controller & IMU v1.0
    Tarot 1355 Carbon Propellers (Two Holes / CW and CCW)

any help/ideas appreciated

• Hello,

At what point do you believe there is a stall? It seems to me like you just ran out of power or lowered the throttle too far and scraped the ground...am I missing something?

• Hi Simon, Thanks for the reply

Guess it could look that way in the video, but the problem actually first shows at 10 seconds in the video. I'm slowly descending with a small amount of yaw (no other stick) - then suddenly the front left motor cuts out and the copter violently pitches/rolls forward/left, I recover it just shy of the ground, then just as I apply more power then it cuts out again and goes into an uncontrolled yaw - at which point, I cut my looses and kill the throttle...

Normally I would think loose joint/faulty wiring, but this isn't the first time this happened and its never the same motor, last time it happened 10cm from landing and the right middle motor cut-out, busting a prop on the concrete...prior to this it's happened twice at 10-15m high and recovered straight away, but I'm now running 13" props so I'm guessing that's hampering the quick recovery.

PS flying in atti mode

Thanks

• Hi Todd,

Having similar behavior on my tricopter.

In mid flight, one of the motors just stalls... 

Motors: 480KV Turnigy Multistar 22 Pole
          Props: 1555 Carb
          ESC: Afro ESC 30Amp (SimonK Firmware)
          Controller: Multiwii Pro
          Battery: 4S 5000mA

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPwrfnkcxvg

• Switched the ESC's for Turnigy Plush.

Flies great now...

• Ouch!  Sorry you are having problem - especially like this.  Hopefully you didn't get sand into your motors.  

Unfortunately I don't have any "easy fix" ideas for this type of problem.  I also have a T690 with Naza v2.  Have you carefully checked the soldier of all the electronics?  To make sure there's not a bad connection or barely "hanging on" wire or soldier joint?  With vibration these things can easily happen.  If they wiring is all good what I can tell you is I've been reading that other pilots (with a lot of hours on their craft) are having similar problems using Simon-K ESCs and have switched back to regular ESCs.  I highly recommend Hobbywing Platinum Pro 30A ESCs.  I've been flying with there for quite a while and have not had any problems.

Let us know if you find the problem Todd.  

• Thanks for the reply Chris - good info, see below reply to Simon

• Hey Simon k,

Things went really well afterall with the ESCs. I checked all the inputs as well as my multiwii settings and made sure that I was seeing 1000-2000 range and that solved it. Plus whatever person had the remote for the last quad inverted the input so that was not helping me either. I really like the response that your software had and the experience taught me a whole heap about quad rotor architecture. I am working on a quad for a competition which is in 3 weeks. Afterwards I can post the pictures, video and results. So everyone, look forward to my first large blog on this website in a couple weeks. Should be a big one.,

This reply was deleted.

Activity