Replies

• I was doing some market research on large electric power systems and I found this brushless motor:

http://www.icare-rc.com/plettenberg_predator.htm

which can generate 65 lbs of thrust swinging a 30x10 prop.  4 of those would make 260 lbs lift.  The motor itself weighs under 4 lbs so if you could keep the weight of the batteries and vehicle under about 100 lbs then you could lift a light person.

Ballpark between $16,000 and $18,000.

Predator
    ICARE, electrics, electric accessories, brushless motor, Plettenberg, Orbit
  • One large prop is more efficient than n smaller props; The advantages of a quad are the simplicity and efficiency of direct drive motors juxtaposed against the complexity of a cyclical etc. These advantages are presumably lost as the cost and size of the vehicle goes up. Your fixed pitch quad rotor of any size will crash, and with it whatever you carry; an adj. pitch rotor on the other hand allows for a dead stick landing, so your odds go up.

I suspect someone will build an n rotor with sufficient props to lift a human (~50-70)? and such may be safely redundant, but arguably a heli would be more effecient. (however, might it be oddly quiet - having a high frequency and lacking the main source of whoop-whoop (the tail crossing)?
  • An off-the-shelf Quad might spin on its X-Axis, but a "custom" Quad built to behave like a tricopter wouldn't.
  • no it will spin on the X-Axis -> it flips upsite down -> it will crash into the ground, not falling, crashing!
    There's a variable pitch model using 450 sized parts and 2x600 motors around here somewhere. It's pretty large and impressive! There's also a blog post on a 1:1 quad if you go a few pages back. And, of course you've seen the smaller-than palm-sized models some of the universities have "on hand". The range is quite diverse, I think!
This reply was deleted.

Activity