Skywalker X8 wing endurance VS the c-astral wing

Hi,

C-astral wings (website) are identical to the wing X8 Skywalker (or the opposite!), but the perfomance are very different. What could double performance of the c-astral? The outer covering (composite or carbon)? The motor / prop combination? My goal is to create a similar astral-c wing, long flight endurance, tilt&pan camera or a lightweight sony alpha like a5100, parachute for landing and a Pixhawk (their mission planning software looks suspiciously like Mission planner anyway!)

Thanks everyone

Alex

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do you know if anyone tried to rebuild and/or reverse-engineer the C-Astral flying wings?

• Hi Graham.

I'm building an X8 that requires at least 90min  flight time.

AUW would be around 4.4kg

Battery would be 16000 6C 15

What prop and motor would you recommend.

Using Pixhawk 2.1 cube.

Many help would be muchh appreciated.

Graham Dyer said:

I got 2h17m and 114km with a Super Skysurfer with an un-aerodynamic gimbal and a weight of 3KG. I suspect that with the same battery/motor combo an X8 would have easily gone further/longer as flying wings are quite a bit more efficient with lower drag than a conventional layout.

How much further/longer - maybe 2h45m/150km, perhaps even 3hrs? It is possible with the X8 and conventional motors/props/ESC's.

One just has to choose carefully and optimize each component.

Skywalker X8 wing endurance VS the c-astral wing
    Hi, C-astral wings (website) are identical to the wing X8 Skywalker (or the opposite!), but the perfomance are very different. What could double perf…
  • Found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzEIqMtkMwM

• At these Re numbers really the only thing that is going to matter is your propulsion system efficiency, and whether or not the airframe can support the load structurally. With the same propulsion system, wingspan and structural capacity the two drones would almost certainly perform within 10% of each other range wise. 

I got 2h17m and 114km with a Super Skysurfer with an un-aerodynamic gimbal and a weight of 3KG. I suspect that with the same battery/motor combo an X8 would have easily gone further/longer as flying wings are quite a bit more efficient with lower drag than a conventional layout.

How much further/longer - maybe 2h45m/150km, perhaps even 3hrs? It is possible with the X8 and conventional motors/props/ESC's.

One just has to choose carefully and optimize each component.

• Hi Alex,

You can source a composite X8 from Skywalker themselves. They released the composite X8 towards the end of last year, if memory serves. I recall that the wiglets pointed down... You can search the site, I'm sure you'll find the discussion.

My point is that getting a commercially proven air frame like the X8 and matching it with the right battery/motor/prop combo for your payload using a tool like ecalc will remove a lot of the painful trial and error.

Good luck with your mission.

Here is the link to the discussion:

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/skywalker-x8-honeycomb-composit...

• Hola a todos, estamos desarrollando un concepto de seguridad para el skywalker x8 y otros drones de ala fija, que les dan mayor precisión y rendimiento, además de proteger el equipo en el momento del impacto. Este sistema tiene cardán, baterías de alta duración de 120 minutos y paracaídas. ¿Qué piensas de nuestro trabajo? Saludos

3702412098?profile=original3702412041?profile=original

• Can you guys please advise on the sky walker platform . I have two which cannot cope with above 14 mph winds , well when I say can,t cope I mean they have the hadit of spiralling out of control when doing a tight turn which it will not recover
  • Hi Alex. 

We have a flying wing that is smaller than the C-Astral but is full composite and suitable for the Pixhawk. It's already setup for parachute installation with a mechanical deployment hatch.

aviounmanned.com

What are you looking to do, create a drone for yourself or build and sell them for others? 

--
    Avio Unmanned Team 

3702062335?profile=original

• Hi to Avio team and thank you for your reply,

wow, it's very similar to the UAV C-Astral, it is impressive.

Is it possible to put a larger battery for more endurance or the space dedicated to the lipo is specially made for a 3S / 3000mah?
      I also see your UAV X, very interesting too.

Could you send us a quote to know the prices and options available for your two machines?

You can send it to admaltaisATgmailDOTcom

thank you
      Alex

This reply was deleted.

Activity