Sonar Testing Issues

Having fun with 2.0.23 - sofar seems stable on stock AC frame with sonar. I am not having luck with default PID for sonar (log included). As soon as I hit alt hold it will sink, but occasionally rise. This is a typical log at the default .35 .05 .3 settings.  I have played with these, seems like .45 .07 .3 gets closer to staying at altitude, sometimes a minute or two, but still can drop or shoot up for no apparent reason. I am running out of PID settings to try, never seem to hone in on stability. Sonar works fine with NG, and log seems to show correct distances for this flight. I have flicked ch7 off/ on while hovering, while hovering with alt hold, and even left it on to no apparant effect. Very strange......

05-06-11 12-31 2.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Saw the last name and had to say Hi...lol...
  • I was having pretty good luck with my new sonar installation, using the EZ0 unit. Got a few flights in with it holding very well in sonar, zooming up and down the field at low altitude, however at the end of the runs, it would rise up a bit when I slowed down to revers course and when it rose up, past 4 meters, it just kept going up. It did this regularly. If I kept it slow, the the quad did not rise up as much and alt hold in sonar worked fine. But with some speed and the inevitable rise as I stopped the quad and reversed course, it would lose its lock and just keep going up at a steady (slow) rate until I took it off alt hold.

My last run, alt hold off, I was speeding down the field about 2m altitude when it just dove over into the grass. It appears either the aft motor died, or a prop blade came off and then it just went right over. Some damage, one motor inop, but I think it's one of the wires, also could have been the reason for the in-flight shutdown.

Can you guys tell what happened by looking at the attached log?

Jim

05-06-11 05-01 8.log

• 3D Robotics
    Which sonar sensor are you using? We default to the XL MaxSonar EX0.
This reply was deleted.

Activity