Sony RX100iii as aerial mapping camera

I am looking for feedback on using the Sony RX100iii as an aerial mapping camera. Currently we use the Canon SX260 with occasional blurred shots and lower-res/quality than we would like. The RX100iii looks like an excellent replacement but I am hoping for some feedback before making a purchase.

Thanks!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear colleagues, 

we try to use Sony QX100 for our plane and found very strange behavior: the camera lost focusing and closed lens by itself during the flight (sometime during1-2 minutes, sometimes need more time)... 

What explanations can be given for such behavior?

I will be grateful for any idea!

• Sony is better choice. Sony mega pixels are best for sharp images.

• I've searched around but I cannot find any information about a possible hack on the RX-100 III/IV to implement a dedicated GPS antenna to georeference the images. Do you have any tip about it?

Thanks,

• I have designed a RX100-III (& IV) mount for the 3DR Iris, X8 and Solo for a client of mine to use at their Geo Mapping Company.

http://www.impconcepts.com/impstore/index.php?route=product/product...

BTW Nice remote trigger you folks have developed. ;)

• Hi Shawn:

thank you for this thread. I am also looking something with better resolution to replace my S100. My question, how do you get GPS info with RX100?
    • Geo-tag images from mapping mission using Mission Planner.

• You could take a look at the Samsung NX500 (28 MP)

• Hi Joseph,

did you find a way to live connect the HDMI and remote control the Samsung NX500 when mounted on an aerial gimbal? Please let me know,thanks.

I must decide today between the Sony RX100 IV and the (discontinued) Samsung NX500.
      • Sorry, I never have tried the live connect with the remote control.  

• Developer

Hi guys, I just wrote a blog about using Sony cameras with the pixhawk, check it out:

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/using-the-intel-edison-as-a-sma...

This reply was deleted.

Activity