Starting with 1st IMU : a 9DOF Razor

<< 1st message and 1st mistake : I was posting in Chris Anderson's blog !! Repaired by this new discussion ...>>Hello everybody.First, felicitations for a such interesting forum, and happy new year 2010 !I am a futur new 9DOF-razor user, from France.I will be a brand new IMU user, but already familiar with airborne electronic equipments (my job !) and with flying hobbies (20 years of practice -and crash !!!- in gliders, F5B, engined & electric helicopters, ...)I 've just bought my 9DOF-Razor board and waiting for it (*) , with its FTDI basic breakout 3.3V interface, and a Locosys LS20031 GPS.My preliminary goal is to learn its sensors way of work, and pratice step by step their associated algorithms.In a second time, may be an "home made" quadrocopter, with flight plan GPS assisted, RTH, ....But I already have few short questions :1. I have equipped my PC with AVR studio :==> is it compatible with the FTDI interface for code download ?2. I have started to compile the code provided in SparkFun 9DOF-board page. Few libs are missing(types.h , defs.h , i2c.h , ...)==> are they standard or attached to another compilation tool (arduino, Win AVR, ...)Thanks a lot for your help, and best regards,Gilles(*) I have just received the boards !!!So my gift for the New Year : a picture of my equipment... (scale is cm, and 1 euro coin)

IMG_5017.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi there,

I have a short question. I'm trying to use your AHRS code with the 9DOF sensor stick of Sparkfun. I already changed the data acquisition (sensor stick has an ITG3200). Now, my problem is to figure out which axis directions you need for the algorithm. Should all the axis be aligned for the calculation? (ACC, Gyro and Mag). I only ask, because when looking at the picture of the 9DOF board on Sparkfun, it seems that the Gyro axis are reversed compared to the ACC, but where do you actually change the order?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

• Hi Gilles, Hi everyones

i already got the following hardware from sparkfun

1) 9 DOF SEN-09623

2) 3.3V FTDI Basic Breakout

i already installed Arduino Software and my problem here, i would like to know the command to display the value of gyroscope, magnetometer and accelerometer. If possibli, could u give me the code in (.pde) file.

Thank you in advance

• Hi Gilles, Hi everyones

I am working on the 9 dof. I am reading the IMU data via a RS232 port and I am processing the data on LabView.
    I want to implement a Kalman filter to fusion the accelerometers/magnetometers/gyroscopes data to get an estimation of the x, y, z rotation angles. Unfortunately, I am unable to find the sensitivity of the gyros and magnetometers.

Can anyone help me ?

Oussama
  • I am working with Razor 6 DOF( Hi pass filter capacitors not removed on 6 DOF razor) & 9DOF IMU's from sparkfun.
    1. For 6 DOF Razor i ported the DCM code provided at http://voidbot.net/razor-6dof.html and i followed same circuit connections. With rotations on x,y,z axis i collected data( Euler angles) and drawn plots.
    2. 9DOF Razor ported the AHRS code provided by sparkfun. with python AHRS interface. it works well. With rotations on x,y,z axis i collected data( Euler angles) and drawn plots.
    I observed both the plots, i found 6DOF razor unable to reach maximum rotations on Roll(x) & Pitch (y).
    I wold like to clarify, is it due to filter capacitors or due to any mistakes in code ported to 6 DOF ?
    I am trying to apply these rotations to graphical object in Visual C++ to see the same result as Python interface with 9DOF has given.
    If anyone here familiar with mapping these rotations to graphical object in VC++, I would like to share.....
    Thanks. Find the attachments.

Plot(XYZ)euler 6DOF.xlsx

Plot (XYZ) euler 9DOF.xlsx

voidbot.net
    This domain may be for sale!
  • Gilles,

How did you end up compiling the test firmware from sparkfun? I copied the 9dof V18 firmware code into Arduino IDE and tried compiling it after copying all the H library files over to the Arduino library folder, but I'm getting a bunch of compiling errors.
  • Hello,

i have not removed the high pass filters from the gyros.
    What's the goal of this?

Guillaume
  • How many of you that are using Razors have removed the high pass filters from the gyros.

Any thoughts on how well it works and if you continue using the HP reset after removal?
  • Bonjour Gilles!

I am looking for an IMU too and i have found the 9DOF-razor too... ;-)
    Just some questions :
    - which cable is used between the FTDI basic breakout 3.3V interface and the 9DOF-razor ? I don't find this information. Just i must use an USB cable between the FTDI basic breakout 3.3V and the PC...
    - 9DOF-razor vs ardIMU : what differences? only magnétometers?
  • Bonsoir Gilles,

To program this board, you will need Arduino IDE:
    http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
    You do not need AVR to program this board unless you want to modify the bootloader, I am not sure this will work with FTDI. Maybe send a quick email to sparkfun to find out.
    The processor is Atmega328, same as ArduPilot so you can select Arduino Duemilanove w/ATmega328 in IDE and you should be able to see or edit the code.
    Welcome to DIYDrones and good luck!
    Olivier.
This reply was deleted.

Activity