Please pass on your thoughts, ideas, feedback or experience on my plans.
I live out in the hinterland of New Zealand and hence there are not many people around to bounce ideas off. I confess to being less interested in the electronic / auto pilot side than the airframe, air photo, sensor side of things.
I'm building a senior telemaster (spectrum radio) with the following modifications:
* Added more complex and effective flaps to improve STOL perfomance
* powered by a converted 31cc weed eater engine (ryobie) for GOBs of power)
* Exrtended range tanks in wing and in pods.
* cub style sprung gear for better ground handling.
* moving location of radio gear, servos and battaried to make as much "cargo space" as possible at the C of G.
* designing in the ability to add additional wing span if required.
* Build the GPS based auto pilot for short duration stabilisation and precison overflight and long range autonimous capacity.
The idea is to use a known airframe, compensate for drag and weight with heaps of power, be able to fly off grass or uinmproved strips, and use easy to source materials.