STOL UAV Senior Telemaster with Attitude

Please pass on your thoughts, ideas, feedback or experience on my plans.I live out in the hinterland of New Zealand and hence there are not many people around to bounce ideas off. I confess to being less interested in the electronic / auto pilot side than the airframe, air photo, sensor side of things.I'm building a senior telemaster (spectrum radio) with the following modifications:* Added more complex and effective flaps to improve STOL perfomance* powered by a converted 31cc weed eater engine (ryobie) for GOBs of power)* Exrtended range tanks in wing and in pods.* cub style sprung gear for better ground handling.* moving location of radio gear, servos and battaried to make as much "cargo space" as possible at the C of G.* designing in the ability to add additional wing span if required.* Build the GPS based auto pilot for short duration stabilisation and precison overflight and long range autonimous capacity.The idea is to use a known airframe, compensate for drag and weight with heaps of power, be able to fly off grass or uinmproved strips, and use easy to source materials.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Scott
    missed your request for info
    will dig in the archives, one of the articales is by another Kiwi chap but I, findit and sent it on.
  • Horses for courses Scott
    and you have got a fantastic horse! I would be keen to follow up more with you. The flaps sound like a good move, have you looked at extendable slats as well for more short field work.
  • Developer
    Nasa engineers used this airframe for testing para-gliders for shuttle emergency return to earth vehicle. Hauling up the test vehicle and release at 400' worked great, they would make 4 drops before refueling.
    They were using a OS-75 glow engine. Yours could lift a cat or small dog, did you convert the Ryobie yourself ?
    You could add a brushless motor with ac/dc converter (alternator) to generate DC power and use smaller system battery, less weight more power !!! How long do you think it will fly on full tanks??
    Wheels are a drag
  • You may find some ideas in my SIG Kadet Senior BIY taildragger posts here. In my opinion, you made a very good choice for the airframe. Those "old school" trainer are easy floaters, much forgiving, stable, etc. It's for some reasons that they are still around after many decades! As you may see, I chose an electric conversion for my trainer, and after maiden, I wouldn't go back to nitro! With 40 minutes capacity and a lot of spare power, little noise, I feel it fits the bill perfectly. Taking off in 5 meter is possible, though landing lane needs to be much longer without flaps (I'll use ailerons as flaps). Good luck with your airframe.
This reply was deleted.

Activity