Hi

I have an hexacopter with the 3DR PX4 autopilot. Today I tried to fly it with a Nano-Tech 5000 mA battery 25-50C discharge and after less than one minute fly, voltage lowered to near 7 V obviously the drone came down, fortunately with no major damage. The only change is that I attached a BaseCam Simple BCG 32 bit controller for the gimbal (2 axis). 

The data log does not report any issue (se attach) except the low voltage. Is this a failure of the battery?

Thanks for help

Views: 169

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I forgot, attached is a photo with telemetry readings. I checked the battery before the flight and it had 16.6 V and after the crash it recovered to 16.2 V by itself

The voltage is only relevant if you are measuring it under load, Run the motors (on the ground for a few minutes then note the voltage not just with the telemetry but with a digital meter

That way you get a reading that is close to the truth

I did this and I discovered that battery lowers in similar way (my telemetry is well calibrated), and then after load it recovers. I never have seen something like that, the battery under load downs to 7.0 or 6.7. Then it recovers! I did this with other batteries and they worked quite well. 

I conclude that the battery is bad, but in a strange way that i have not seen before

Thanks for your help

If this is a 16v battery and its going to 6-7 volts then you have over discharged it and permanently damaged it .
3.2 volts / cell is a minimum voltage

Yes it downloaded to 6-7 volts, then with NO recharging, the battery reads are about 3.7-3.8 volts per cell, giing a total of 15.1-15.2 volts. And it happened again with another battery! I do not understand this. The same with the other battery no cell reading below 3.7 and it seems perfect, but in the readings of current it dropped to 6-7 volts and the hexacopter crashed, fortunately from very low altitude. This battery that failed had 25C discharge rate.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service