Yep, you heard me right, I'm going to build the world's first supersonic RC plane, almost doubling the world's present RC speed record. Reason why I'm doing this is to get the attention of the aerospace industry so that they might consider me someday.

Yes, I know the technical challenges will be enormous, but that is why I am doing this, to demonstrate what I can do. Plus it will finally be a chance for me to put my degree to use.

Now the biggest challenge will be finding a place for me to actually fly supersonically, not that every flight has to be supersonic. I am aware that when airplanes travel at that speed a sonic boom is usually created. However, since this design will be smaller, so will the sonic boom.

Another concern of mine will be heat, as air friction compresses the air, heating it up. The temperature I estimate I will reach will exceed the maximum of some of the components, so I will need some sort of cooling mechanism, and just fans won't cut it.

Now I know some of you may have alarming concerns, but if you calmly address them with me I will address them. I'm posting this here because I may need advise for the type of parts I need and other recommendations you may have.

Aerospace V logger out.

Views: 8355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1) What you are referring to is a diffuser, which I DO intend to use. I plan on using a bottleneck type diffuser, where it enters quickly and slows down before reaching the compressor.

2) Wait a minute. Don't they do wind tunnel testing on supersonic aircraft using sub-scale models ALL THE TIME? How could that possibly be uncharted territory?

3) I did not expect the EDF to reach supersonic speed alone, nor would it provide all of the compression. The burners would provide extra thrust and the ram-air compressibility effects would provide additional compression.

4 & 4.5) Actually all-moving control surfaces mounted on the wingtips is what I envisioned almost from day one. Yes I know the whole surface has to move otherwise the deflection would only be dealing with "dead air". I've already seen several documentaries explaining this. But as to where to place the center of gravity, center of rotation, and center of aerodynamic forces, I didn't know that. This is why I created this topic.

5) What I plan to do is create something like thin supercritical airfoil. The first quarter chord will be symmetrical and the rest will be asymmetrical. This is something researched by Dr. Richard Whitcomb.

6) I know that, but doesn't a smaller frame create less drag? Plus I thought the highest allowed altitude was 400 feet.

7) Is that glider in a dive or something?

8) Well I am considering using carbon fibers on the skin, and wherever else I can.

9) Well I do plan to have the design to be stable, but without being too difficult to turn. Still, I plan for it to be FPV so I can at least see where the thing is going, if I can obtain equipment to sustain communication at that range. Also I must say how I'm impressed with the safety features involved with modern RC systems, such as return to launch point if low on fuel or reaching the edge of radio range.

Will this response make you take me more seriously?

So what I got from this is that you have watch several documentaries on supersonic airplane design, and now want to do it yourself. 

No, I have learned from documentaries, AND my classes how airplane designs have evolved throughout the years. I just was pointing out how I've been reminded that when you go fast enough the entire fin of a control surface has to move in order to be useful over and over again. I also know that most modern fighters and a few bombers are made aerodynamically so unstable that they require a computer to fly them, which enables them to be so agile. I also know that the faster and higher any air-breathing engine travels, the more its thrust to power ratio drops.

Also I can calculate the stagnation temperature for any given mach number and ambient temperature. Don't believe me? Just give me one example.

In setting up the Kickstarter for this project, what do you think would be a good reward to offer people? I'm a little stumped with that.

Here is what they won't allow.

• Rewards not directly produced by the creator or the project itself
  • Financial incentives
  • Raffles, lotteries, and sweepstakes
  • Coupons, discounts, and cash-value gift cards
  • Rewards in bulk quantities (more than ten of an item)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service