I am successfully using a 4G LTE network connection to send bidirectional telemetry AND HD (1280X1024 / 25fps) Video from my drones.  The video is perfect, the telemetry is perfect - regardless of range (assumes 4G is available).  I use my cell phone as a hotspot and connect using MISSION PLANNER on my laptop. The video is "snow free" and is viewed  on CHROME or FireFox browsers. 

The cost of all the equipment is under $100, but I do have to pay for a data plan ($15-$50/month) - and a small monthly amount for server time. The server setup is special to allow for the 4G<->4G connection.  The telemetry data is encrypted, the video data is not (at this time, anyway).  The system camera is non-standard but tiny.I can control the drone with a joystick connected through Mission Planner.  The latency is 0.8 seconds - max. The total weight of the system is 100 grams.  No equipment other than a computer running Mission Planner is needed on the "ground side" (except for a cell phone or other hot-spot).

I was thinking that others could use my setup as well. In that case I would have to set up multiple accounts on the server and manage them.  Before I take this any further -

Would anyone else be interested in the setup I have?

Views: 9975

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm definitely interested!

Charles

So I take it you have jist compiled the Mavlink stuff from the ardupilot page and trying to make a distro package?

I help Marc with His Disco mod and am going to start a Pi zero on Chibios but very intrested to see if you got this off the ground like Bernt Egeland has managed to do when he demonstrated the Mavlink patch in 2012. He now has a Pi distro that works and sells it.

Did you get off the ground? And what are you doing diffrent to the docs on ardupilot?

Thanks

Gus

Linquist said:

It says I need dji stuff.  I have my own products, and nothing is dji.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service