Telemetry Issues - Connecting a Navio2 to Flight Planner using Radio Telemetry

I am having issues with connecting my Navio2 Flight Controller to my computer using 3DR FPV radio telemetry modules. As seen in the image below, I have both modules attached and each have green lights - though the one attached to the Navio2 has a red LED that is flashing as well. I am able to recognize the COM port that the USB module is attached to and through Mission Planner I have been able to assign settings to it and its remote counterpart. However, when I try to connect, it fails. The baud rate is the default 57600, and this also doesn't work in QGroundControl. I was following this guide for the Mission Planner steps. I can post more information if needed. Any help would be appreciated!

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't recognize that radio. Are you sure it's a 3DR?

Steady green indicate the two units are paired.

Can you look at https://docs.emlid.com/navio2/common/ardupilot/installation-and-run...

and confirm Telem2 line is uncommented in your arduxx file.

If there is also a micro usb plug on the air unit, you can use it with Raspberry USB out ( Telem line in config file is /dev/tty/USB0)

UART out Rx and Tx lines are to go to Tx and Rx plug of the air unit (crossed).

RMK: do not fly without using the four supplied spacers between Navio card and Raspberry.

Marc

The branding isn't on there, but this is the place on Amazon where it sold.

Chris Anderson said:

I don't recognize that radio. Are you sure it's a 3DR?

It's a Chinese clone that violated the 3DR trademark. It happens. That doesn't mean it doesn't work, just that it wasn't made or designed by 3DR. Caveat emptor

steady green indicate the two units are paired.


Do you know what the red flashing light means?

My /etc/default/arduplane file looks like this:

TELEM2="-C /dev/ttyAMA0"  
ARDUPILOT_OPTS="$TELEM2"

I already made the Tx/Rx mistake where I connected Tx to Tx and Rx to Rx.
The red tape on the wires is where I fixed that problem.

Red blinking is data transmit. 

When the two units are connected (mission planner), the two units have red light blinking. If connection is not established, ground red (near the serial plug) is off.

It could be a bad COM port selection or Serial 1 speed not at 57600 in the ArduPlane settings.

If you have wifi on your raspberry, you can have the console UPD TELEM1 activated all time (even if wifi is not connected during flight). It is convenient when working the settings at home, like downloading logs (no way to do that with radio).

Wait, then what would that mean if just the air module was blinking red, and not the ground module?

Yeah, it definitely might be a bad port. When I try the different USB ports, they all come up in Mission Planner as COM12. I thought that they should have different numbers?

That's a good point, I'll turn the Wi-Fi connection back on.

I'm going to try this on another computer to see if the com ports work there.

Marc LE BRET said:

Red blinking is data transmit. 

When the two units are connected (mission planner), the two units have red light blinking. If connection is not established, ground red (near the serial plug) is off.

It could be a bad COM port selection or Serial 1 speed not at 57600 in the ArduPlane settings.

If you have wifi on your raspberry, you can have the console UPD TELEM1 activated all time (even if wifi is not connected during flight). It is convenient when working the settings at home, like downloading logs (no way to do that with radio).

I can now confirm it's not a port issue. I tried another computer's ports and I got the exact same errors. I believe I have the right USB to UART driver (v.6.7.6), so that shouldn't be the problem.

Dan Beich said:

Wait, then what would that mean if just the air module was blinking red, and not the ground module?

Yeah, it definitely might be a bad port. When I try the different USB ports, they all come up in Mission Planner as COM12. I thought that they should have different numbers?

That's a good point, I'll turn the Wi-Fi connection back on.

I'm going to try this on another computer to see if the com ports work there.

Not easy.

I have some modules (3DR or equivalent) and Comport is USB Serial Port (FTDI), version 2.12.0.0 26/08/2014, on a W10 setup.

Dan Beich said:

I can now confirm it's not a port issue. I tried another computer's ports and I got the exact same errors. I believe I have the right USB to UART driver (v.6.7.6), so that shouldn't be the problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by "modules". I'm on Windows 7, so I suppose the setup would be different there.

Marc LE BRET said:

Not easy.

I have some modules (3DR or equivalent) and Comport is USB Serial Port (FTDI), version 2.12.0.0 26/08/2014, on a W10 setup.

Dan Beich said:

I can now confirm it's not a port issue. I tried another computer's ports and I got the exact same errors. I believe I have the right USB to UART driver (v.6.7.6), so that shouldn't be the problem.

I've figured the issue out. I was able to try out a second Navio2 out with the same equipment and it worked to perfection. It appears that the issue was the UART port in the original Navio2 - it appears to be slightly damaged from having a wire pulled out of it, and the port was the issue in this problem. Thanks to those who helped in this discussion.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service