Telemetry to Turnigy 9X (with FrSky FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen)

Hi all,

My setup is this:

Transmitter: Turnigy 9X running er9x

TX/RX: FrSky DJT 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Telemetry Module & V8FR-I...

Flying thingy: 3RD Arducopter running APM1

I already have telemetry over Xbee to my laptop but I would like to have data to my hands as well.

There are mods/hacks on google how to get transmitter to show FrSky telemetry but I'm planning on taking the easy route and buy a separate FLD-02 screen. 

My questions:

1. Do you have experience using APM and the FLD-02?

2. Any reason why this is stupid? :-) I have no problems soldering tricky stuff but if there is a cheap and easy way (the FLD-02) then I'll take it!

Views: 13750

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent! I will give it a go.

Vito, Can you post a .hex version there?

Ok.

Attachments:

Finally got around to doing more testing. I think there is still a problem with longitude parsing. Perhaps its the negative value still. Here are images of my OSD's version of current GPS coord and then what was on the telem LCD.

My voltage values still jump pretty erratically. I'll take a video so you can see exactly what is happening. Also, I moved to 4S recently, so I might try and update the code to support 4S too :) 

Video of FrSky LCD with voltage values bouncing around:

As I said, I am 4S, so thats why the voltages are off, but the total voltage on the top I would expect to be stable.

I believe the problem is the voltage exceed 4.2V per cell ... this code should works...

It would be great to change cells number from the pc's gui, but I'm not able to do it.

the attachment

Attachments:

Wow, I am so glad I found this thread...thanks for all your work guys, I am happy to help in anyway I can.

I to purchased the same equipment as you Jon von Weymarn many months ago but was never able to get it working, I even managed to fry an apm 2.5 and minim OSD when something shorted out:

FrSky D8R-II PLUS 2.4Ghz 8CH Receiver with Telemetery

jD-IOBoard v1.0, MCU controlled IO Board for driving LEDs, Relays, ...

FrSky FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen

Apm 2.5

I was following the thread about the IOBoard on jDrones but was never able to get a clear understanding of exactly how to connect the above listed components in order to get the data flowing.

I was wondering if I could ask a huge favour for someone to clearly explain how to connect the components in order to get telemetry working on the FLD-02. I am able to successfully flash the IOBoard with firmwares so no issue there :)
Once I can actually get the hardware side of things working I am more than happy to help with any firmware testing etc.

Thanks very much,

Cameron

I think I had old code. I just refreshed my repo from yours and everything is working perfectly! GPS coords are all good now, and even the 4S voltage is working. Thanks!! 

@Cam - Things are actually a lot simpler than they seem. Literally you just wire D5 on the jD-IOBoard to the FrSky Rx port. No level shifter, or anything is needed. The Arduino softserial library is able to 'invert' the serial signal lines, which is what the FrSky expects.

On the FTDI side of the IOBoard - make sure only one device is talking to the APM Rx line ( in case you have a telemetry radio, OSD, etc...). If you want to be really sure you get the telemetry feed, you can change the APM settings as outlined on this page: https://code.google.com/p/minimosd-extra/wiki/APM

Note that if you are using ArduCopter instead of ArduPlane, the parameters are actually prefixed with SR0_ not SR3_.

Good Luck!

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply Mike, I really appreciate it.

I will did the IOBoard out of the draw tomorrow and give it another try.

One other question if I may, does the FrSky Rx port only require the one wire from D5 to be connected or does it require grounding as well?

Cheers.

Hi,
I have connected D5 pin and GROUND pin, but I think that only the D5 pin are needed. I will post some photos later.

Yeah, you can connect the gnd too, but not required because its already connected back through the FTDI to the APM and then into the FrSky Rx via the servo connection(s).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service