Hi there.
A complete newbie to the drone scene, although have a few R/C aircrafts.

I'll be looking to purchase APM2 shortly but have a question regarding telemetry.
I have searched around but havn't found much on the topic.

I've recently found the first 3G HSPA Arduino shield & was wondering wether it would be possible to link this to the APM2 for telemetry data to be sent back to my PC via the internet.

http://www.cooking-hacks.com/index.php/documentation/tutorials/ardu...

This shield has the option to purchase a camera, GPS & microphone that plugs directly into the shield but as i'm not quite the electronic guru, before purchasing i would like to know wether it would be possible to stream data from the APM2 via this shield, and also video feed from the shield's camera.

And possibly have a GUI app developed that would provide a moving pin on a map as to where the plane currently is with a video feed next to it.

As you could imagine this would mean the plane could fly as far away as the batteries could take it.

Again, i'm a a fair newbie when it comes to arduino and the like so, sorry in advance if this seems like a silly question!

Regards, Matt.

Views: 4980

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also, before people start commenting saying that it wouldn't be viable because of cost of 3G data.. < I don't care about cost.
And about reception; here in Australia we have 3G coverage in 95% of the country so that's not an issue, especially as it's only for telemetry, not actually controling the drone.

Regards, Matt :)

Matthew,

The 3G cellular data shield is compatible with AT-command set and therefore may work with the new experimental Cellular Modem library. The library allows you to re-direct MAVLink telemetry over TCP or UDP to a remote Ground Control Station, like Mission Planner. From there you can issue commands etc. As for the video, I have not looked at the detail, but it should be possible too.

If you would like to try and test it with the new Cellular Modem library, let me know. In the mean time, see the "Telemetry over cellular" group which is dedicated to building such solutions: http://diydrones.com/group/telemetry-over-cellular-ip

Hey Matt,

Looking at doing the same with my FPV plane. I have over 50min of climb time allowing some serious glide time, I am presently using a tracking station but this has some pretty big limits without going to several watt amps and parabolic dishes (let alone the fact I would like to have kids some day and getting shot with several watts of microwave is not conducive to that). I am also in Australia and Data is not an issue at all, I also have the ability to have a static IP on the cell connection so it won't matter what cell actually has my signal as my IP won't change. Not to mention the fact that the mobile speeds are faster here than just about anywhere in the world if you are with the Big T and have decent cell connection at over 10,000 feet in most places accross Oz, so hight is not an issue. 

It would be great if one of these cellular shells could simply be connect to my APM 2.5 and be used instead of the 3DR radio’s I presently use and even better if I can then fly using a joystick over this connection as I do now without out the need to fart around setting up the ground station. This would also provide a far better video stream to fly from compared to every other FPV video TX I have ever used.

I am dock-testing a telemetry over 3G / TCP setup with an android smartphone, but will wait for 2.9 final to finish and calibrate my copter ...

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/telemetry-over-3g-video-over-3g-i...

best c.

Hi Matt 

In Australia also , wondering how you are going with your project. Would like to collaborate with you if your interested .

I'm also reasonably new to the scene but am intrigued by the technology .. I

Tony

Hi Matt is there any progress in your project. I am also trying to do the same thing. Can u tell me at what stage u are? Thanx in advance.

10 000 feet ?

Locally here in soon to be darkest africa (again), all cell companies try NOT to beam into the sky, waste of energy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service