Tricopters for beginners

Hi!I'm new to this site and kind of new in the RC world.After searching a lot on this forum i didn't find out a good configuration for a tricopter, for a beginner. Please tell me what do you use, what do you recommend. What motors you use, what ESC, what servo, what remote, everything. This would help a lot people who are new to APM and don't know how to use it. Aslo, a tutorial of setting up a APM tricopter would be nice.Please spare some time for the new guys, you were once like us :)Thank you!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey guys,

I'm a newbie as well, and am in the process of building a y6. Can anyone tell me whether my present configuration will work or if I would have to make changes. In that case, any suggestions? Any and all help will be appreciated.

Hobbyking multi rotor control board v3.0

Hobbyking 2.4GHz 4ch mode 2 radio system

Fc 28-22 brush less outrunner 1200kv

Turnigy 12v 2-3s basic balance charger

Turnigy multi star 20amp multirotor brush less ESC 2-4s (opto)

9x5 carbon fiber props

Is there anything else I would need to make this beast take off?

Thanks!

• Mate, the easiest thing is to get a cheap voltmeter and see whats coming out of your power module. This will save you a lot of time - you never know, it might be the power regulator on the APM board - but until you've done what I suggest you're shooting in the dark.

• This is my tricopter configuration and it flies great with APM, and it's aerobatic too:

rcexplorer style frame with 36cm 10mm hard wood booms (too flexible actually, 12mm or carbon is better)
    Uncased APM 2.5 with Arcucopter 3.1 firmware
    MinimOSD
    HQ 9x3.8 or Graupner 9x5 props
    T-Motor MT 2216 900kv motors tied to booms with double sided tape and 2 zip-ties on each side.
    RCTimer 20A ESCs with SimonK
    3000mah 4S 35C Turnigy Nanotech battery
    Hobbyking landing skid set for SK450
    Crius LEA-6M GPS

3701737717?profile=original

I had to tune down the stabilize P gain though to stop the tail (with the top heavy rcexplorer style yaw mechanism) from wagging.

Video with some rolls and flips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ood_cvlKgeY

Other FPV videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhuZppW60Ns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHUeLgGwEE

• Good build advice at rcexplorer: http://rcexplorer.se/projects/2011/09/the-tricopter-v2-5/

Excellent APM config + tips here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792924

• Hi!
    After playing with kk2 i'd like to go for the apm 2.5. I'm tired of messing with the PI settings. Is apm easyer to set and fly? What sensors do you recommend for a more steady flight, taking off and landing? if i need any at all
    Is there any Super Simple Gimbal equivalent for apm? What is it called?
    Do i need to place the tricopter on a level surface for takeoff, like with the kk2? I find this hard to do most of the time.
    What are the downsides of apm in your oppinion?
    Thank you!
  • i've flown my apm 2.5 tricopter for a while, i've tried stab, alt hold, loiter, auto, circle, and rtl..

my setup is:

apm 2.5 with mediatek gps

rctimer 433mhz radio

DT700 + 11x4.7 props

HK F30A esc + simonK fw

hxt 5010 servo

4000mah zippy compact 3s battery

6ch hk6s transmitter and receiver

• I have a question.  I'm setting up my APM 2.5 board (fw 2..9.1) on a tricopter.  I've installed a digital servo for the yaw tilt platform.  It seems a little 'steppy' with stick input. I'm thinking this is because of a 50hz servo refresh rate.  While I've found how to reverse the servo direction in MP, I've been unable to find if the yaw server refresh rate can be changed/adjusted.  Is this possible or is it hard coded (and if so) to what value?

Thanks in advance...

• I started a shopping list, i allready have the motors. I'm not home right now, in fact i'm not even in my country. I'll get home at the end of march, so i have some time for research. Please tell me if you think these parts are good for a tricopter, or if i should go for something else.

Motor: ROXXY BL OUTRUNNER 2834/08
    ESC: ROXXY BL CONTROL 930-6
    Servo: HK15158A Digital BB/Coreless Mini Servo 25g / 2.8kg / 0.07s
  • I just finished building my first tri-copter two weeks ago, and have about 20 flights on it.

Quick run down of equipment and parts

APM 2.0 with external GPS – To be upgraded with APM 2.5 and better GPS

Radio: Futaba 9C with FrSky D8 Module

Receiver: FrSky DH8 – 8 channel

Airframe – Hobbyking Turnigy Talon Tricopter V1.0 Carbon Frame

ESC – Hobbyking Turnigy Plush 18 amp

Motors – Turnigy Airdrive 1020kv

Tail Servo – Generic Corona (I stripped the servo the other day catching the tri when I knocked it off the bench.) I have a Turnigy 396 on the way as a replacement.

Propellers – I currently using 10x4.5, I also have 11x4.7 and 9x4.7 that I will be trying out.

Batteries: Various 3 cell lipos – Mostly Zippy 2200mAh 20C

Roll and Pitch Camera Mount – Goodluckbuy Scopion Something or another. Hobbyking has it too

I sound like an advertisement for Hobbyking...

Total build time: 6 hours

Comments: Used stock Ardu Tricopter setup. I had to reverse the “tail” servo to get correct direction of movement for yaw correction, was done in Mission Planner. Flew great on maiden flight only used stabilized and alt hold. I do have problems with GPS in Loiter, but I think the issue is with the APM 2.0. I have not flown in AUTO mode yet.

I will be make a scratch built Tricopter soon using the information at http://rcexplorer.se/ as a basis.

• First of all, thank you for the quick responses.
    Richard, there are lots of reasons why one should pick one over the other, why don't you go for an airplane? Basically it depends on your tastes nowadays.
    Steven, thank you for the advice, my kk2 board will soon arrive and i'll build my first tricopter using that, just to learn to fly, so it will be easier to fly the APM.
    Peter, thanks for the offer, when i'll start running into trouble i'll think of contacting you.
    I opened this discussion so that the other beginners that are thinking of building a tricopter with APM will find it easier, so i would like to talk here, not on private.
    I don't have anything right now (well, i do, but i'm not planning to use it in the tricopter). I'd like to buid a new tricopter from ground up. This is why i'm asking you to recommend the parts.
    What motors do you use and why? What kv do you preffer? Do you want high speed or high torque?
    What ESC do you use? Do you go with BEC or UBEC, why?
    As a beginner i'd go for the wooden frame too, as it's cheap, it's easy to make, it takes out some vibrations. What body for the frame do you recommend? Do you preffer the plyable arms? How safe are they inflight?
    What servo do you use? Does it have to be really strong to turn the motor? How to choose one?
    This is what i'd like to know, so when someone is thinking of buying parts for a new tricopter he'll know what to choose.
    Thank you again for the reply! Oh, and sorry for the bad english :)
This reply was deleted.

Activity